Samba not starting after security update

After the security update, samba service is not starting anymore, if i check the status i get this:
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo service samba status ● samba.service - Samba Server Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/samba.service; enabled) Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since gio 2016-04-14 22:35:57 CEST; 1min 27s ago Process: 268 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/samba.distributed start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE) Main PID: 268 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

apr 14 22:35:57 osmc samba.distributed[268]: Starting nmbd (via systemctl): nmbd.serviceJob for nmbd.service failed. See 'systemctl status nmbd.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details. apr 14 22:35:57 osmc samba.distributed[268]: failed! apr 14 22:35:57 osmc systemd[1]: samba.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE apr 14 22:35:57 osmc systemd[1]: Failed to start Samba Server. apr 14 22:35:57 osmc systemd[1]: Unit samba.service entered failed state.
I don’t remember if samba was originally installed via app store or via apt-get, but one of this two…
wich log is needed to find the problem? thanks

dpkg -l | grep samba

this is the output:

osmc@osmc:~$ dpkg -l | grep samba ii python-samba 2:4.2.10+dfsg-0+deb8u2 armhf Python bindings for Samba ii samba 2:4.2.10+dfsg-0+deb8u2 armhf SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for Unix ii samba-common 2:4.2.10+dfsg-0+deb8u2 all common files used by both the Samba server and client ii samba-common-bin 2:4.2.10+dfsg-0+deb8u2 armhf Samba common files used by both the server and the client ii samba-dsdb-modules 2:4.2.10+dfsg-0+deb8u2 armhf Samba Directory Services Database ii samba-libs:armhf 2:4.2.10+dfsg-0+deb8u2 armhf Samba core libraries

i tried to purge samba installation with apt-get purge samba, and then to reinstall it from the app store, it fails to install smb-app-osmc and still not working

Did you also apt-get purge all of the dependencies that Samba brings in?

i.e. everything dpkg -l returns? Likely there are more packages than this. Run apt-get autoremove --purge

Samba unfortunately has an attitude in its DEBIAN/* packaging that can cause damage to user configurations. It thinks it knows best. @DBMandrake and I certainly had a battle with this in the past.

i’m trying with a fresh install, seems to work now, indeed i messed some configuration somewhere

Not necessarily.

Samba has some very aggressive postinst rules that involve changing user configurations without consent. Keep a backup.

thanks, i will keep that in mind for the future… is a bit annoying to fresh install again :smiley: