Samba Share Permissions on External USB

Hi,

Just bought a V4K and its been great so far and these forums have helped me sort a few problems. The last thing I can’t seem to sort out is accessing the samba share on my network (OSX Catalina). I installed smb via the My OSMC tab. I have an external USB drive that is detected and automounted fine at /media, but there are two problems:

1. I can’t connect in Finder via browsing through Network as I just get connection failed. I found a post from 2015 saying that this can be bug in OSX authenticating and having to manual connect as osmc/osmc, but I am unable to click “Connect As” it does nothing. I found that I can still connect and browse fine via Go>Connect to Server> then typing in the device manually, but I need to do this everytime. I take it that the bug in OSX hasn’t been fixed yet or have I set something up wrong?

2. Secondly, and more imporantly although I can browse and read the USB network drive ok I am unable to write and get the message “The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items.”. I’m able to r/w directly to the Vero. I checked the smb.conf file and tried adding “read only = no” to the automount part but this hasn’t helped. The USB drive is mounted as:

/dev/sda2 on /media/VERO type hfsplus (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,umask=22,uid=0,gid=0,nls=utf8,uhelper=udisks)

Which means it has rw permission? Sorry, new to all this and any help would be much appreciated.

The problem is the drive is using a mac format (hfsplus) which by default only is supported Readonly.
If you don’t have too much data on it I suggest to reformat either with exfat or if you just want to use it connected to the Vero and shared via Samba then ext2