Satellite Tuners Stop working

Hi

I have a Pi 3b with 3 DVBSky Satellite tuners with TVHeadend and I find that after a couple of days they gradually all stop working and the recordings fail

Has anyone else had this problem and if not what is the best way to try and see what is going wrong

Cheers

Keith

Hard to tell without logs and without knowing the make and model of tuner.
It could be a problem with the driver for the hardware.

Sam

Hi Sam

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have 3 DVBSky S960 V2 S2 tuners. The next time it happens I will attach the logs

Cheers

Keith

This could be an issue with the drivers.
Can you try with just one tuner to rule out a power issue?

Sam

They are all mains powered so I don’t think that is the problem and the hub is powered too

Ok – will be good to get the logs.

It has just happened. It is currently recording a programme and I wanted to watch something live but it said there are no free adapters when there should be 2 of them. The logs are here

https://paste.osmc.tv/gamarodezi

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith,

I see:

Aug 25 22:45:17 osmc-server tvheadend[884]: subscription: 0351: No input source available for subscription “192.168.1.16 [ osmc | Kodi Media Center ]” to channel “5Spike”

not sure if that’s the issue.

Does systemctl restart tvheadend resolve the issue?

Sam

Hi Sam

Yes. This is what I get when I try and watch something and there are no tuners but I think this is the symptom rather than the cause. What is causing the tuners to become unavailable

I usually just reboot the Pi to fix it
I can try restarting just TVHeadend next time

Keith

Hi Sam

It happened again today and I tried systemctl restart tvheadend but this did not fix it. It took a reboot of the Pi before the tuners started working again

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith

Not sure then unfortunately. I don’t have these tuners at hand to reproduce. We will update the kernel version soon for Pi, and this may yield some fixes.

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam

I found this thread which seems to fix the problem

Is it going to be in the next update of the kernel?

Cheers

Keith

Looks like it’s fixed in 4.19 already. Can you try staging?

To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Hi Sam

I have made the changes that you suggested and so far it is looking good. all last week the tuners would fail within minutes of a reboot and after the change they are all up and running after a couple of hours

I have some recordings scheduled for tonight so I’ll see how they go

Thank you so much for researching it and giving me the instructions for a possible fix. Your work is really appreciated

Cheers

Keith

Hi @sam_nazarko

All the programmes were safely recorded last night with all three running at the same time. The tuners have been rock solid since the fix was loaded and the Pi rebooted.

Thank you so much for fixing this. I am very happy

Cheers

Keith