Saved Brightness/Contrast Settings Not Taking Effect Upon Playback

I’m adding more movies to my 4K collection so that when the time comes to purchase a 4K projector I’ll have a healthy selection of 4K titles to enjoy. In the meantime, I’ll settle for the increased clarity and audio quality that many 4K titles offer, albeit with HDR to SDR conversion. As many of you know, however, HDR video can be somewhat dark when played back using settings intended for SDR.

Solution: Tweak the Vero 4K’s Brightness and Contrast settings for each 4K title. These settings are saved on a per title basis. One video will look best with the Brightness set to 51 and Contrast set to 58, while another looks best at 52 and 69. So, set it and forget it, right?

Problem: Even though the adjusted Brightness and Contrast settings are automatically saved for each title, they do not automatically take effect when the video is stopped and started again, at least not in my case. It only takes effect when the Contrast setting is adjusted again (ie, changing the Contrast from 59 to 58 brightens the picture because, in reality, even though it showed a setting of 59 it was actually playing the video using the default previously set for all media, which was 53).

Anyone else notice this? What is the root cause and how can I fix it? I’m using the July update, but I’ve noticed this behaviour before.

I haven’t had a chance to look in to this yet. It’s a known issue.

Sam

So as of right now, there’s no manual workaround to fix this, correct?

I think you can bring up the OSD and the contrast / brightness will take effect.

Doesn’t take effect for me until I manually adjust the Contrast setting.

Will be fixed in the next update.

2 Likes

I see this is now added to stretch-devel, thanks! Updated and it’s working well.

2 Likes