Scraping Slow, Video Playback Stutter & Buffer, Bluray Folders Playback

Logfile https://paste.osmc.tv/mutagakule

I have just gotten a Vero 4K+ and have a few issues and would appreciate some guidance.

1. I have a wired GB connection, 1000 Music Albums with about 20K songs, 300 Movies with about half being Bluray Folder structure. The Media is on a dedicated W10 PC.
  2. I also have Kodi installed on a W10 PC for some comparison
  3. I’ve got the October update, but symptoms were identical with previous build.
  4. Scraping/updating is very slow, On the PC it takes about a minute to scrape the Music library. On the Vero 4K+ Music takes a couple hours. Kodi CPU runs about 50%-60% during this.
  5. When scraping, movie playback is unusable due to stuttering/buffering. Music playback stutters, browsing is laggy.
  6. When no scraping activity is occurring, all appears to work well, except for Bluray folder movies, which can take 30-60 seconds to offer the media to play.
  7. On the PC connecting to the same media shares, any of the above issues are non-existent. Very responsive, quick to get Bluray folder movies to offer file to play.

At the beginning of the logfile it displays the Bluray folder loading issue, then it continues with the slow scraping and movie stuttering/buffering issue.

Thanks very much for the support in resolving this.

Kurt

You might try using a system mount via fstab or autofs instead of the Kodi paths and see if that performs better.

Hi Kurt,

As a quick test – is it possible to remove the Ethernet cable and connect via WiFi and see if this improves things?

I’m not suggesting this as a permanent solution

Cheers

Sam

Thanks for the reply. I have set up the media location utilizing fstab. It has the appearance of improving the experience, but I’m in hte process of testing it. One thing I immediately see is the CPU is being utilized more, as it’s gone from 50%-60% to 100%-200% while scraping and playback. Should I guess that by improving the network speed the CPU is allowed to do more work?

After I do some further testing with library updating, and playing media, I’ll post some results.

Thanks again,
Kurt

1 Like

For some reason, the Kodi-based NFS was using a very small block size:

NFS: chunks: r/w 8192/8192

8K will be very inefficient and might have contributed to your problem. Last time I looked, Kodi-based mounts were using block sizes up to 500K, eg 2 x Vero 4k not recovering from dim (screensaver) - #18 by decepticlone

A kernel-based mount should hopefully choose a larger block size, as well as generally being more efficient.