SD Card or SSD to Play Movies?

Well, that works, obviously. :slightly_smiling_face: One slight problem is that the Vero’s USB ports are USB 2.0 rather than 3.x. That means 1) USB hard drives can’t necessarily draw enough current from the Vero’s USB ports to power them, so you either need a self-powered drive or a powered USB hub, and 2) you’re limited to about 40MB/s transfer speeds. That’s far more than you need for smooth playback, but copying a 60GB 4K movie onto the local drive at that speed will take around 25 minutes. I don’t have that much patience! (I guess you could unplug the drive from the Vero and plug it into the PC while copying, then move it back afterwards, but that’s still extra faff).

Plus, if you’ve already got the file sitting on your PC hard drive then streaming it across the network costs nothing; but storing it locally as well means you have to actually buy a second drive (and possibly a powered hub too).

Then there’s the fact that the Vero only has two USB ports, one of which probably has a remote control dongle in it. You can plug multiple drives into a powered USB hub, and that will work fine - but only so long as you never need to copy from one drive to another; if you copy something from one drive to another drive on the same hub, the performance will be truly painful.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that one. It’s a bit more complicated if you want to have multiple Kodi boxes reading from the same source and keeping their libraries in sync; but for a single Kodi box I don’t think setting up a Kodi source on a remote server requires any more effort than setting up a local source - it’s essentially the same procedure.

Obviously you should do what’s right for you - I’m not trying to change the way you do things. :grinning: But for someone else who is considering how to set their system up, I don’t want them to be scared about setting up a Vero 4K+ to stream across the LAN - it really isn’t difficult.

2 Likes