SDR 2160p 10-bit content still not playing correctly on Vero 4K after October update

If you update to the kernel in stretch-devel as described above and just check everything works OK, that will be useful, thanks.

Yes I have a old school 1080p SDR sony from around 2008-2009 KDL-40Z4500

Would you like me to provide log playing the file with the vanilla October update currently installed and than again a log playing the file with your new fix ?

My combination of vero4k+ and Sony xe9005 works flawlessly under October update.
My only issue is the one mentioned, about the 4k sdr files played as 4k hdr.
I wonder if this staging kernel would affect any of the other perfectly working features, so I am a little bit reluctant to try it…
My TV after all gives me the option to manually set the colourspace, but I would prefer the auto option.
So do the people that already tried it notice any side effect?

Well, it works perfectly for me with my Panasonic LED, otherwise we wouldn’t have released it! There are still issues for LG owners but we are homing in on those issues. I don’t think anyone has reported it being worse than the October release.

It would be really good if you could test it with your Sony.

If it’s easy for you, yes please.

Here is the log from playing the file on october update without your fix: https://paste.osmc.tv/hafarezale

Also after enabling logs and rebooting I had to re-select 1080p in settings. My TV is native 1080p

This are the logs after your fix was applied : https://paste.osmc.tv/afozozasuf

Thanks. But did it look different?

Edit: NM, your TV doesn’t do deepcolour so it plays just the same at 8-bit. (note: my 12-year-old Panny does do deep colour but not HDR so was affected by this EOTF issue - thought yours would be too)

I was wondering the same to be honest. When I played the file for the first time without the fix I thought by my self that it looks ok as is than I applied your fix and watched again and first reaction was that it looks the same. Then I got the impression that the picture looks a bit crisper but it might as well be placebo

Edit: Ah that explains it !

There actually is a setting called colour space in picture settings ( it actually says colour not color ) and the settings are standard and wide but I have no clue what it does and the manual doesn’t explain it properly… it’s currently set to standard

Edit2 : Copy paste from the manual about colour space:

“Changes the color reproduction gamut. Wide reproduces the vivid colour and standard the standard colour”

I’m not a native English speaker but this sounds pretty vague to me. Anyone knows what’s this is about ?

No idea. They are not telling us anything useful by that.

1 Like

After applying this update sdr mapping is very nice for both 1080p and 4K BT709

I do have a good collection of movies to run test (1.2K movies and rising)
Had to pull the plug twice because the vero4k+ unit did not sync properly with the display at 1080p/60hz once movie ended. Each time i had to pull the plug it was from a BT.2020 movie.

Changed the osmc interface to 4k 60p instead and no reoccurence so far.
Setup is vero4k+ through Denon AVR-X3300W + Samsung 4K SDR (UN55HU7000)

Current osmc trouble free amhdmitx config
cur_VIC: 353
VIC: 353 3840x2160p60hz
Colour depth: 10-bit
Colourspace: YUV420
Colour range: limited
EOTF: SDR
YCC colour range: limited
PLL clock: 0xc000029a, Vid clock div 0x000b0000
audio config: on
3D config: off

Look like to me that change is on the right track.
Keep up the good work!

1 Like