Segfault while building from Debian (mmap denied)

hi i’m experiencing a segfault from “internal compiler” while building mediacenter-osmc for rbp2
here’s a few info and build trace

uname -a result :
linux rpibuild 5.10.0-11-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.92-1 (2022-01-18) x86_64 GNU/Linux
lsb_release -a :
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Release: 11
Codename: bullseye

I have no idea why mmap fails …

thank you for help !

I’m no expert but I see references to Bullseye and amd64, neither are supported by OSMC.

Building on target hardware is the best option.

Thank you for answer !
Well, knowing that anyway, osmc building process uses qemu to build for target, even if you actually build ON target…I thought it was better to use my comp to build faster ^^
I guess I’ll give it one more try but building on my raspberry pi 3+ failed many times, freezing …after hours of work :frowning:

Thank you for answer !
Do you mean that I can’t built osmc on amd64 Bullseye ? I guess i can try with a Buster VM …

We don’t use QEMU if you build on target.

It’s a pass through. If the arch matches, it’s not used.

1 Like

ok ! happy to know that. Do you agree with building with rbp2 option for a raspberry pi 3+ then ?
I tried last night and it froze at

`[ 21%] Built target gameaddons
[ 21%] Building CXX object build/filesystem/CMakeFiles/filesystem.dir/Directory.cpp.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object build/games/addons/input/CMakeFiles/gameinput.dir/GameClientJoystick.cpp.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object build/filesystem/CMakeFiles/filesystem.dir/DirectoryFactory.cpp.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object build/games/addons/input/CMakeFiles/gameinput.dir/GameClientKeyboard.cpp.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object build/filesystem/CMakeFiles/filesystem.dir/DirectoryHistory.cpp.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object build/games/addons/input/CMakeFiles/gameinput.dir/GameClientMouse.cpp.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object build/filesystem/CMakeFiles/filesystem.dir/DllLibCurl.cpp.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object build/games/addons/input/CMakeFiles/gameinput.dir/GameClientPort.cpp.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object build/filesystem/CMakeFiles/filesystem.dir/EventsDirectory.cpp.o
Scanning dependencies of target game_addon_streams
[ 21%] Building CXX object build/games/addons/streams/CMakeFiles/game_addon_streams.dir/GameClientStreamAudio.cpp.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object build/games/addons/streams/CMakeFiles/game_addon_streams.dir/GameClientStreams.cpp.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object build/filesystem/CMakeFiles/filesystem.dir/FavouritesDirectory.cpp.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object build/filesystem/CMakeFiles/filesystem.dir/FileCache.cpp.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object build/games/addons/input/CMakeFiles/gameinput.dir/GameClientTopology.cpp.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object build/filesystem/CMakeFiles/filesystem.dir/File.cpp.o

`

so I’m looking for a way to avoid building gaming stuff…is there a documentation page about building options ? I guess there is one but I can’t find it :frowning:
Feel free to tell me if i’d better create a new post.

Thank you for your time.

Am I understanding correctly, that your goal is a rbp2 Osmc image based on bullseye?

And you want to remove all gaming aspects from mediacenter? Which means Xbox controller support etc ?

In that case, in the source tree edit build.sh under packages/mediacenter-osmc, Locate some addon variables in the later part of the shell script and edit to your liking.

1 Like

I actually just want to have osmc working on my bloody rpi 3+, but since I experienced blank screen with prebuilt images, and freezes when i tried to build it on the actual rpi 3+, I now give a try to cross-building it on a VM I created. It happens to be a Debian bullseye but it’s not my actual purpose …and it has no impact on target version, I guess ?

I was thinking about that but was looking around for a more elegant way :wink: Thank you, I’m trying this right now. Made me found "-DWITH_CPU=“cortex-a53” which will be usefull for rpi3+ support ! So now I build for vero3 target on my rpi3+.
Cheers

Custom your rbp2 target i stead, if you go with vero3 target you will have problems with your pi3 GPU, since vero3 expected mali-gpu.

Ps. Do what you are comfortable with :grinning:. But may I suggest fork Osmc on GitHub, store your changes and when you get to where you want to be, reach out to any one in dev team to perhaps take a look and cherry pick from your fork?

1 Like

ty again. I’ll custom my rbp2 target as you said.

got it !

1 Like