September 2022 Update Broke fstab mount to SMB Server

To keep from adding redundant topics, adding here to a 2018 post. If it needs a new topic, sorry, I’ll start one.

September upd broke fstab mounts that worked fine. Please refer to https://paste.osmc.tv/idirexirak.

NAS server is an old MAC Pro.

I move your post to a new topic as it must be related to the September update and therefore should not get a different view.

So your current active fstab entry is using vers=2.0 while you also have v1 and v3 entries. Can you confirm that your NAS is configured to use v2?

What happens if you execute sudo mount /mnt/Server_Movies?

Thanks for the quick reply!
The other commented out lines were attempts to determine the correct one by rebooting and looking for contents to appear. None have worked. My guess it’s a RIGHTS issue, but why would folders show up without contents?

osmc@osmc:/$ smbclient -L 192.168.87.25 -U NAS
Enter WORKGROUP\NAS’s password:

Sharename       Type      Comment
---------       ----      -------
4TB-share1      Disk      
4TB-share2      Disk      
4TB-Share3      Disk      
IPC$            IPC       
Macintosh HD    Disk      
Movies          Disk      
Music           Disk      
NAS's Public Folder Disk      
TV              Disk      
nas             Disk      

SMB1 disabled – no workgroup available

sudo mount /mnt/Server_Movies indeed creates an empty folder with that name.

Because you are trying to mount a subfolder

Change your fstab to this and see what happens

//192.168.87.25/4TB-share1 /mnt/Server_Movies cifs x-systemd.automount,noauto,rw,iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/osmc/.credentials,uid=osmc,gid=osmc,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770,vers=2.0 0 0

I used this:
//192.168.87.25/4TB-share1 /mnt/Server_Movies cifs x-systemd.automount,noauto,rw,iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/osmc/.credentials,uid=osmc,gid=osmc,file_mfile_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770,vers=1.0 0 0

and I finally saw folders show up, but just as folder icons with no labels. I then scanned for all files which took a while with all the files on that server. After a while they all showed up. Probably took time to load all those files. (I have a ton!)

I need to learn more about all the switches Linux needs to be happy.

Thanks for your help!

Good that it is now working. While I am not sure how you have defined your sources in Kodi (yo may want to share full logs) because in your earlier setup you had mounted the three Folders (Movies/TV/Music) individual. If you want to go back to that the lines should be:

//192.168.87.25/Movies /mnt/Server_Movies cifs x-systemd.automount,noauto,rw,iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/osmc/.credentials,uid=osmc,gid=osmc,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770,vers=2.0 0 0

//192.168.87.25/TV /mnt/Server_TV cifs x-systemd.automount,noauto,rw,iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/osmc/.credentials,uid=osmc,gid=osmc,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770,vers=2.0 0 0

//192.168.87.25/Music /mnt/Server_Music cifs x-systemd.automount,noauto,rw,iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/osmc/.credentials,uid=osmc,gid=osmc,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770,vers=2.0 0 0