September update failed?

Hello,

After a seemingly successful update, I was presented with a message that said an .img failed to install. Although this has happened to me plenty of times in the past, I never worry because I just drop to the command line and force another install.

Well, first that misguided confidence was shot after not being able to invoke a terminal screen by pressing ESC at the opening splash screen, followed by my failing to find a single reference through google on the command to force an update. It says I have the September update in the system info area, but I’ve been though this before and there always seems to be something that didn’t install properly that will present itself as a problem over time.

I’m about to pour through the OSMC wiki to try and find the force update command that google is apparently not caching, but I still need to know how to invoke the terminal. Perhaps the two pieces of information are grouped together, but I figured I’d ask here first. I wish I would have made a note of what it said did not install, but the “catch-all” of forcing a reinstall usually solves all these little problems. From now on I won’t take it for granted and be sure to write it down.

Thank you for all your time,
MM

Well, it looks as though google isn’t caching it because it no longer exists. All references and links to the suggested wiki pages lead to a 404 “page not found” error. I did find in forum chatter that the terminal is invoked by spamming the ESC key at shutdown. However this conflicted with advice from someone else to press ESC during the startup screen. To be perfectly honest, I always remember it working during shutdown, but neither way works after my September install.

Any help would of course be appreciated, but I’ve gotten used to doing a full install from the ground up every so often due to these types of problems, and I suspect it will be the same here. I would hate to waste a whole Saturday getting my install back up to the way I like it, so if anyone could just confirm whether or not the terminal is inaccessible on their September install, I’ll have enough info to move forward.

Thanks again,
MM

SSH isnt an option?

Not from it’s current physical install location. However, removing it and integrating it temporarily onto another network will indeed be much faster than a full reinstall and configuration. Also, thanks for the link. I looked through that wiki for any reference to forcing an update and the closest I see is a guide to “Installing packages via APT”. If you you could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

I promise you it’s not for a lack of looking. I’ve managed to find it so many times in the past with little to no effort, but for whatever reason, google’s turning up nothing on the subject other than abandoned links. I’ve tried “OSMC force update”, “OSMC manual update”, “OSMC terminal update” and “OSMC command-line update” as my search criteria, but I’ve had no luck. If I could just get that command, I should be good to go with a little physical relocation work.

Thanks a third,
MM

https://discourse.osmc.tv/search?context=topic&context_id=8454&q=Command%20line%20update&skip_context=true

A forum search for “command line update” finds dozens of references and recommendations/confirmations by OSMC staff that

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 

is the recommended cli method.

“E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)”

Who knows what it didn’t install and why. It’s running and appears to work, so I’ve decided to trust in chance and let next month’s update overwrite or fill-in anything that might be missing. I’d just like to thank everyone again for their time.

Be well,
MM

I have a slightly different problem. When I go to update from within OSMC, after the downloads, I get a message that there is insufficient storage space to perform the upgrade, and I should free up storage and try again. But I’m not sure what I should be doing/deleting from where.

RPi2 8gb card.

I suspect, lacking other evidence, that it is the boot partition /dev/mmcblk0p1 which is overcrowded.
a simple df -h should reveal it.
If not cleaned things like kernels, system maps can eat the space.
I thought that this problem had been rectified, but others can advise.
There is a post here which lists some of this, including the use of apt-get auto-remove
Derek

Ah, I almost forgot. I still need someone to confirm whether or not they can invoke a terminal session during shutdown after the September update? This would be a big help.

Thank you,
MM

I don’t think that’s used much. SSH is much easier, just download/install Putty

I believe you are correct. it doesn’t seem to be used much at all. However, if someone could just verify if it works on their pi, it would help me out a lot and I would be very grateful.

Thank you,
MM

Thanks for the steer. It looks like /dev/root is the issue:

$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 1.7G 1.6G 0 100% /
devtmpfs 363M 0 363M 0% /dev
tmpfs 367M 0 367M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 367M 38M 330M 11% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 367M 0 367M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 240M 25M 215M 11% /boot
tmpfs 74M 0 74M 0% /run/user/1000

Not sure what to do now though. apt-get auto-remove failed.

Working here, the key is you need to choose EXIT from the shutdown menu then ESC from keyboard

Thank you Dilligaf. That told me all I need to know. I’d buy you a beer, but the bars refuse to serve me after “the incident”.

Very grateful all the same,
MM

You should be able to access it just fine by selecting Exit in Kodi and pressing Esc a few times on your keyboard.

We have redesigned the Wiki. The old links are no longer working, but the new Wiki is at Wiki - OSMC. I believe these resources will help you:

Best wishes

Sam

It’s actually

sudo apt-get autoremove

No hyphen. You can also run this command to remove previously downloaded packages:

sudo apt-get clean

I would run the clean command first as it is quicker and will probably free more space, then autoremove.