Serious ghosting/low quality issue

Just to add - disabling hardware acceleration does fix the issues with H264 files. I was incorrect previously - I set up the Kodi iOS app and added a shortcut to disable hardware acceleration whilst I was watching the file, but unaware this didn’t do anything as it needs to be changed before the file is playing.

Not sure if this adds anything, but I just wanted to share.

Improvements are coming. I’ll ping you when things are ready for some evaluation.

Sam

Hi Sam,

I’m at work so unable to test the new build I’ve just read about. Are there fixes in it for this issue please? Should I be getting hopeful :slight_smile:
Thanks for all your efforts

-Mat

Hi Mat,

There were quite a few video improvements in this update.
Because of some of the skipping reports and for stability purposes, we split the video changes in to two parts. There will be a new test thread shortly so that I can get some further feedback before integrating any changes in to OSMC proper.

Sam

Let me know where the test thread is as I’d like to help testing!

Me too! :slightly_smiling_face:

I will make a new thread in this forum when it’s ready. Keep your eyes peeled :slight_smile:

Thanks for your support and willingness to test. As you can imagine it’s not a good idea to release experimental things on Vero users when they have paid for something that just works. This means we need to be a little more reserved in how we release things. As long as you understand the risks and you take a backup – then there’s no issue.

Sam

Hi Sam,

well for what it’s worth I ran my tests using the ‘Bloody Tom Hardy’ clip and some other clips and I can’t see any smearing or ghosting any more. Not saying it’s perfect because it was only a quick test but this current build is certainly better than before. I’ll leave x264 hardware decoding switched on and report any issues I find, but so far, so good.

Thanks

-Mat

@mlavende Can you provide a link to the clip? Would lige to try it in my setup.
Previously I’ve also noticed the ghosting.

Hi acidduck,

I’ve sent you a message with a link to the file on my NAS

Thanks

-Mat

Great to hear. I think the next major one to fix is colour issues in videos (HDR, 10-bit).

Sam

1 Like

@sam_nazarko Haven’t tested the clip yet, but was is really expected that this release would actually fix the ghosting issue?

It depends. I think there is a bit of overlap here with reported issues.

We do have video improvements so if you can’t replicate it with your own content anymore then that’s great to hear

Hi Sam,

can you give me a bit more info on the HDR 10-bit issue. I have watched a few HDR programs and would be interested to know what I’m missing. Some seem to be better than others.

Thanks

-Mat

Hi Mat, I don’t want to put words in Sams mouth but for me the HDR problem occurs with files with a BT 2020 color space. They look really really dark when played through the Vero. 10-bit non HDR files which would have a BT 709 color space look great.

Hi Brozzie,

daft question then:
Do you have to change the Gamma on your tv before viewing such files? On my LG OLED for example I assume I should set the gamma to BT2020 before viewing BT2020 colour space files. Is that how it’s supposed to work?

You can tell I don’t really know what I’m doing here :slight_smile:

In your case I would assume you set the tv to 2020 and leave that do the work. For non HDR sources it should adjust accordingly,

My tv is 4k but not HDR, so I don’t have that option. I have a Samsung UHD player and the HDR BT 2020 files look fantastic on my tv played through that (whatever witchcraft the Samsung does), way better than non HDR encodes of the same movie, but the player won’t output HD audio for .mkv files hence the need for the Vero.

I use the same tv, receiver and .mkv file - the only variable is the player. Samsung outputs the BT 2020 correctly (even to my non HDR tv), the Vero currently does not.

It’s interesting isn’t it. I have wondered what happens if you try to play an HDR file on a non-HDR tv. You’d like to think it would ignore the HDR stuff and play it ‘normally’ whatever that is, but clearly that’s not happening for you. I have an HDR tv and if I play HDR files then they automatically invoke the HDR setting on the tv so they look ok. Certainly extreme whites and blacks as well as bags of colour, but how do I know if it’s correct? If I play the file through the tv directly off a usb stick it looks about the same as if I play it through the Vero but they could just both be wrong :slight_smile:

Certainly looking at the HDR versions of amazon prime programmes compared to the normal versions there is a massive difference.

The more I read about HDR the more I’m not convinced that even the professionals know how to calibrate to it.

I’ll be interested to see what Sam comes up with. For now I’m just happy that I have no more ghosting or stutters. I can play all my 264 and 265 encoded files smoothly - bliss.

All food for thought

-Mat