Setting HTTP password breaks UPNP

This might not be the right place to ask, but I’ve got to start somewhere.

I recently opened a port in my router and directed it to my Pi 2+ running OSMC/Kodi 17. I set a username and password in the web interface.

This sort of broke UPNP. I’m using the Android app Yatse to stream to another app, Soundseeder. In Yatse I need to enter the new username and password to control Kodi, which works. But asking Yatse to stream from the Pi to Soundseeder no longer works.

Tried removing the username and password and it works again.

Opening up Kodi’s web interface to the WWW is a horrible idea, even with a non-standard user:pass. UPnP is also not designed to feed clients outside the safety of your LAN. I feel like you are setting yourself up for disaster here.

1 Like

I suggest you install openvpn server on your box and run the application on your phone over a openvpn client, that way you are not opening up kodi to the whole internet.

If you need some help setting up the openvpn server, just ask me in pm. But follow the guide, there might be one issue which need some help.

Maybe I am setting myself up for disaster, but I’m not doing this entirely willy-nilly. I’ve randomized a high number port (rather than 80), set a strong password and locked the port forwarding to a single incoming IP.

But but setting a password breaks my Yatse/Soundseeder set up while I’m still on my Wi-Fi at home (I just provided some context, but I’m starting to realise I just confused the issue :smile:).

The web server has been known to have some vulnerabilities in the past and is not intended to be public facing.

It you are trying to host your music to be available when you are away from home, Kodi/OSMC is a horrible way to do it.