Setting up media sharing between Vero 4K and RPi3?

I would like to share my media connected to my Vero 4K (downstairs) to my RPi3 (upstairs).

I used to do this previously with another box using SMB.

I have read the file sharing post in the wiki, but it isn’t easy to understand how to use the other protocols for a Linux noob like me.

If I stick with SMB, am I right in thinking that I can limit the Vero (server) and the RPi3 (client) to SMB 1 and set up the shares using the simple ‘browse’ option in Kodi, and then switch them both to SMB 3 after for security, and it will all work? Or have I missed the boat completely with my understanding?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

If you go to My OSMC -> App Store and install the Samba Server, you should be able to access the files on other clients.

The OSMC Samba server does not use SMBv1 by default.

Sam

Yeah, I got that bit sorted. But by default I cannot browse SMB shares on my Vero from my Pi3 due to the inbuilt restrictions.

I always used to do it with my Wetek Core and RPi3 with LibrELEC, but I assume they only used SMB 1 because I was able to browse for shares on those. If I read correctly, OSMC doesn’t allow share browsing due to SMB 3.

As it is, I have the SMB server installed on the Vero but no way to browse to the shares from my RPi3. I also couldn’t see them in Windows, but I now realise that could be because I have to turn on SMB in Windows. I previously used Windows 7 whereas I now use Windows 10.

correct because of default to SMB2/SMB3 on the client which now is standard due to safety.
I suggest to avoid browsing and either directly add the share with IP/Share or using fstab which is also more performant

Only if you know what you are doing, which I don’t. I have read the File sharing post through a few times and still don’t ‘get it’. It’s a good post, but it assumes the reader knows more than they probably do.

Personally, I would need a step by step idiots guide. :joy:

If you insists on Browsing try to enable SMB1 as it is explained in that thread.

Well, as you predicted SMB 1 using the Kodi client was a no go as it was just way too slow.

So I’m going to bite the bullet and try it the way you said. I found a very good guide for setting up SMB with fstab here: Configuring fstab based Samba share mounts but, do you think I should do this or go straight for NFS?

If I should go for NFS and forget SMB, is there a similar guide like the one above with easy to follow steps? I’m not lazy, I did look myself, but I didn’t find one.

Thanks.

Well if you don’t have any windows client that need to access the Vero4k surely NFS is a more performance way

Basically any how to you find on “NFS Server Debian Stretch” should do the job. But it is as easy sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server and then setting up your shares in /etc/exports

Thanks fzinken.

Windows access might be useful for adding content to attached storage without a need to remove from the Vero, but I’m guessing I can use NFS for communication between OSMC devices, and still have SMB for occasional windows access?

Actually, each time I have tried to use SMB to add content to connected storage on the Vero the speed has been so poor that I usually give up (over an hour for a 1GB file). So maybe I should just give up on that dream.

Sure you can install smb server and nfs server in parallel. Also if you have Win10 Pro you can use the NFS Client on Windows.

Well that would indicate a network problem as also with NFS I would assume that only improve by 30% max.

Sharing between windows devices is nice and fast.

I will admit that my router is terrible, but I am stuck with it as it is required by my ISP.
Both devices are connected via wifi as cables are not possible.

Can I use anything to test the throughput?

Install iperf3 on the Vero, Pi and your windows machine.
Then you can test all combinations Win to Vero, Vero to Win, Pi to Vero,…

How do I get and install iperf3 on the vero and Pi?

sudo apt-get install iperf3

1 Like

NFS for Unix-to-Unix file sharing. Security for v3 is by static IP controls and UID-mapping only. So be certain you have the IPs locked down on your network. NFSv4 uses Kerberos and is considered secure for internet use when encryption is also used. I’ve not used encrypted v4 NFS, since a full VPN is standard anyways here. NFS uses native Unix permissions, which can be very, very, handy.

CIFS for Unix-to-Windows file sharing (LAN only); Windows can be client or server. CIFS permissions are set at mount time. For something like media, permissions don’t usually get that complex until you have kids. Then it might be nice to lock down PG-13, R, and adult titles. DLNA has ZERO permissions management, BTW.

sftp/scp for any-to-Unix file management from anywhere in the world. It uses the ssh port and ssh authentication. Outside your LAN, don’t passwords, always use either ssh-keys or ssh-certs.

For streaming video, always best to avoid wifi, even if you have to buy a powerline kit. Wifi bandwidth jumps all over the place which streaming doesn’t really love. Under the best conditions wifi might get you 30-40% of the advertised speeds, in the same room, with only 1-2 devices connected and zero interference. With powerline, be certain to setup the device-to-device encryption (there’s a button), otherwise compatible systems in the neighborhood can access your LAN.
Avoid any wifi-clients that aren’t at least 802.11n at this point. A,B,G clients use too much talk-time on the RF channels and slow down everyone else. Sorta like a NYC fast-talker trying to communicate with a Texan with a slow-drawl. Attended a wifi-standards talk at a conference over the weekend.

1 Like