Setting up MySQL - best route to go, ReadyNAS or Vero4K?

Hi everybody!
I want to set up a MySQL db to achieve a centralized library shared with all my clients, among them a Vero 4K.

I have all my media stored and shared via NFS on a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4
Linux version 2.6.37.6.RNx86_64.2.4 (jmaggard@calzone) (gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)) #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 11:41:34 PDT 2014

If I do a ‘apt-cache search mysql-server’ on the ReadyNAS I get the following packages:

mariadb-server-10.0 - MariaDB database server binaries
mariadb-server-core-10.0 - MariaDB database core server files
mysql-server - MySQL database server (metapackage depending on the latest version)
mysql-server-5.5 - MySQL database server binaries and system database setup
mysql-server-core-5.5 - MySQL database server binaries
mysql-server-5.0 - mysql database server binaries

Since this NAS has a few years in the back, I would like your input on what would be the best solution;

Setup MySQl or MariaDB on the ReadyNAS or setup MySQL on my Vero4K?

Any Pros & Cons that would good to know?

Thanks in advance!

Choose the ones doing the least amount of stuff, simple :slight_smile:

and go with mariadb

I think you’d ideally want the database on your NAS. The vero is ONE of your clients, therefore if that isn’t running, your database would be unavailable. If your NAS is unavailable, then so is your media.

MariaDB on the ReadyNAS, as the other posts say.

Thanks for your input. I got it working with MySQL on the old NAS. Turns out you get a MySQL DB with one of the preinstalled services called “ReadyNAS Photos”. Naturally, I had deleted this service a long time ago :slight_smile:
So I had to track it down on the world wide web and install it yet again.

Once that was sorted, I followed this guide which worked perfect for me. I’ll leave it here, in case someone else is looking to do the same thing on their NAS.