Setting up wifi

Hi, I am new to osmc and relatively new to the Raspberry Pi. I am running an original Raspberry Pi B which is connected by ethernet, but have been trying to get it to work with an Edimax EW-7811UN wifi usb dongle so that I can move it to another location in the house.

I am running osmc having installed it via Noobs. grep VERSION_ID /etc/os-release gives me
VERSION_ID="2016.05-1"

ifconfig shows an entry for wlan0 however I have been unable to get this to successfully connect to my rounter using either the GUI or the command line, so I’d really appreciate some nudges in the right direction.

In the GUI my attempts to connect fail after entering my password. So I have tried to configure this on the command line. After checking other relevant threads here that has taken me as far as using connmanctl as follows.

> connmanctl connmanctl> scan wifi Scan completed for wifi connmanctl> services *AO Wired ethernet_b827eb66d693_cable VM419252-2G wifi_74da386c77f2_564d3431393235322d3247_managed_psk connmanctl> agent on Agent registered connmanctl> connect wifi_74da386c77f2_564d3431393235322d3247_managed_psk Agent RequestInput wifi_74da386c77f2_564d3431393235322d3247_managed_psk Passphrase = [ Type=psk, Requirement=mandatory, Alternates=[ WPS ] ] WPS = [ Type=wpspin, Requirement=alternate ] Passphrase? ******** Error /net/connman/service/wifi_74da386c77f2_564d3431393235322d3247_managed_psk: Operation aborted connmanctl>

Can anyone suggest what I should try next? I am certain that I am entering the correct password. Thanks.

At the trivial level:

• does the dongle work on other equipment?
  • is the passphrase using any special characters other than alphanumerics
    (this has caused trouble sometimes)
  • can you try a different channel for the wifi (I’ve had trouble on some equipment with particular channels - in my case 1)
    Derek

Thanks for taking the time to reply Derek.

It’s new and only been used by the Pi so far. I will test it on another system when I get back from work this evening. I had assumed that as ifconfig could see it and it was retrieving the SSID of my AP the hardware was working correctly, but you’re right, I should confirm this first.

[quote] - is the passphrase using any special characters other than alphanumerics
(this has caused trouble sometimes)[/quote]

No, purely alphanumerics so that shouldn’t be the problem.

[quote]- can you try a different channel for the wifi (I’ve had trouble on some equipment with particular channels - in my case 1)
[/quote]

I’ll have a look this evening.

What wifi router do you have and how do you have the wireless options configured on it ? (For example authentication and encryption modes, channel number etc)

A copy of the system journal taken after your attempt to connect with connmanctl would provide more information than connmanctl. You can upload this with:

grab-logs -J

Do you have another wifi dongle of a different model handy or that you could borrow to try ?

I also had difficulty with the WIFI and determined it was to far from the router by attaching the RPi to another television. I ended up buying a powered USB hub and that solved my problem.

Firstly thanks to everyone who’s responded today. Once I got home I started working through your suggestions, and it looks as if Derek hit the nail on the head. Changing the wifi channel from Auto to 5 seems to have made a difference. I ran back through the connmanctl command sequence, and this time the dongle accepted my password without a problem.

I think that counts as “pernickerty”. Thanks to everyone who took the time to look at this and reply with suggestions,

Most likely there was interference on the channel that your router was previously on (unknown channel, since it was on auto) so that the base station could not hear the Pi properly.

Just because you can see an access point listed as available to connect to does not mean that it will be possible to do so if there is interference. Depending on the location of the interfering signal it can affect transmissions primarily in one direction, leading to the AP being seen but not being able to connect to it.