Shared storage of media info, watched (etc) for multiple Vero4k+

Good to hear you have it mostly working. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve the Wiki, let us know.

After you edit the advancedsettings.xml on the other systems, it’s safe to reboot them now. You will see the shared video files, and what has currently scanned into the music database. You will even see the music library growing on the other Veros. Just don’t reboot the one that is running the scan :wink:

The wiki link that @Tom_Doyle suggested {this one} is a Kodi wiki not an OSMC wiki. Do you still want suggestions?

DONE!
Thanks again.
I’ll follow up late tonight or tomorrow with the hopefully final report that it’s working.

Sure. Maybe we should create our own version of how to setup MySQL if the Kodi version is to confusing.

Please let us know how this works for you.

How is the Unifi switch configured?
On a manageable switch, you can prevent system to go to different subnets and/or using the broadcast functionality. Many protocols relying on being on the same subnet using the broadcast will stop working with that, and cause weird behavior.

Regarding Your Vero4k+ setup, if you can’t store anything on the device itself - be advised that a linux user (here osmc) can only write into the directories it has write access to. By default it is the user’s home (/home/osmc, /tmp, /var/tmp). All other directories, that user can’t write into (Not a windows system). If you can’t write into the /home/osmc directory, most probably the directory/user ownership isa wrong. Issue a: chown osmc.osmc -R /home/osmc
And you should be able to write again into the /home/osmc directory.

If you’ve read my posts you will not be surprised that I plugged in the switch, connected the ethernet cables, and that’s it. I can see it in the Unifi Controller which runs on PC, but haven’t ever configured anything on it except to update the firmware when prompted. Whatever defaults it has, that’s what its doing.

Experientially, through the Unifi switches …I have 3 of them; whole house is wired with ethernet to every room… I can move files to & from any device, and I can play my content (stored on the QNAP NAS) on all Vero4Ks (and prior to that, briefly, a Tronfy MX4 box, and prior to that, WDTV boxes). I’m not dumb, though like all of us, sometimes in hindsight my actions weren’t wise. But I just don’t invest time in digging into the details of something when there’s not a need or benefit.

I believe you are referring to my comment that I had trouble setting up a local folder for config backups. When you try to do that via the GUI, and start browsing for a place, it shows you a LOT of folders. Maybe all of them. Not knowing which have write-permissions set to ‘allow’, and which do not, one must look for a place by trial & error. After a few failures, I gave up. There is no default folder already set up and filled in or suggested. There’s no hint offered, that I noticed, that one should browse down to the OSMC folder. There is no visual indication that certain folders are write-protected. And yes I do realize some of these ideas are non-trivial to implement.

I have since created a ‘backup’ folder under \osmc, and have the config for each device backed up there. I can now also see that folder from Windows File Explorer.

More generally… probably most of the users on this forum, and users of these devices, are well-versed at linux coding. I’m not. I could invest time in learning yet another coding and command language, but have not. I used to know some stuff but didn’t keep using it so it’s faded. CHOWN sounds like you missed spelled eating a hearty lunch.

The Vero4K box is awesome. But many things on it are difficult to figure out and hard to implement. The user base could grow a LOT and the business owners could make more profits, by making it more newb friendly in a zillion little ways. More users means a healthier ecosystem in the long term.
Things like GUI wizards, on-screen hints, guides with screenshots, links from the device GUI straight to those guides, and being able to do things with no command-line stuff, would all be very helpful.

The people on this community are a (free) resource that could be organized to collect newb perspectives & suggestions, prioritize them, write the guides, raise the more important issues up to the devs for consideration as new features, etc. I have browsed some of the guides and used a couple of them. They are written as if the reader already knows linux, kodi, etc in detail.

I have participated in things like this for other interests. A long time ago I was a beta user of a homebrew system for WDTV boxes (run by @Markster). Above, @bmillham asked for some input and when the dust settles on this project I will provide it.

We are already working on significant changes with My OSMC 2.0 as well as a new Wiki. There are many ways to make things a lot simpler. When the new infrastructure for the Wiki is ready; we’ll invite some people to contribute as well as open a discussion about what should be in the Wiki.

1 Like

Update on the project:

I made the mistake of doing something else major as well as trying to set up mySQL. Namely, changing how sources are added/accessed, from “Zeroconf” to “NFS”. Yesterday evening it seemed NFS was working. Not I’m not so sure. This morning, not a single source is working. Of course, trouble-shooting NFS is a separate non-trivial effort. Therefore, I will try going back to Zeroconf to then hopefully evaluate the shared library via mySQL.

Current behavior:

Settings --> LIbrary --> Videos --> (select a source) --> Edit Source --> Browse

Choices:

• Home Folder ( curious if this is this \osmc ? ; if so, this could be stated on-screen )
  • Network File System (NFS)
  • Root filesystem
  • UPnP devices
  • Video Playlists
  • Windows network (SMB)
  • Zeroconf browser

Results of selecting:

1. Windows network (SMB) – nothing displayed (see a ways above for SMB set up on my NAS)

2. Network File System (NFS) – local IP address of my NAS displayed. Selecting it, displays its shared folders. Selecting a shared folder, the display blinks and returns back to what it was just showing. In other words, no effect.

3. Zeroconf browser – a number of network devices displayed:

• my printer
    • FTP file sharing for each of 3 Vero 4K+
    • QNAP (SAMBA)
    • QNAP(FTP) (FTP) – typed verbatim as displayed.
    • Samba shares for each of 3 Vero 4K+
    • SFTP for each of 3 Vero 4K+

Results of selecting:

1. QNAP(FTP) (FTP) – only the following is diplayed: “/” and selecting it has no effect.

2. QNAP (SAMBA) – all shared folders displayed – selecting it, then clicking OK, results in going back to the screen for “Enter the paths or browse for the media location” and has filled in the ______ with the path: smb://###.###.###.###:445/shared_folder

Again, adding sources via Zeroconf, then SAMBA, works. I’m switching back to that, then, evaluate mySQL.

For someone who doesn’t think they have a lot of technical skill, you’ve gotten a hell of a lot accomplished with what seems like a ton of reading and research and some tips from forum members. Mighty impressive.

For the last bit, when you’re in the Edit Source window, assuming you want to change from zeroconf to NFS, instead of clicking the Browse button, highlight your zeroconf location in the list and hit Enter. (Write down what it currently says on a piece of paper somewhere in case you need to revert) Now replace it with
nfs://192.168.1.10/Vero_Movies_Parents/
(changing the 192.168.1.10 to whatever the IP address of your NAS is) and then hit Done. Of course, replace Vero_Movies_Parents with the proper share name you want for the current source.

Browsing for NFS shares doesn’t work on my installation, so I have to manually type it in.

At the rate you’re going, you may have figured this out already though. Again, mighty impressive what you’ve picked up in a couple days’ time. :slightly_smiling_face:

That is weird.
I have no issues browsing the NFS sources or SMB sources (Even though I don’t use SMB).
Then again, I have the Vero’s and the NAS on the same subnet on the same switch.

I’m using this thread to document things I find/learn. Under MyOSMC, there is a Network icon, and under that, you can see mySQL. Selecting that item brings up a screen to view details about the shared library. It’s pretty much what is typed into advancedsettings.xml . It appears you can arrow over and click or select items to enable/disable stuff, and/or edit things.

mySQL is working. Shared library up & running.

Had to stay with Zeroconf method of adding sources, for now. Since that is working OK I may not “need” to troubleshoot NFS. One other issue … made the mistake of doing a ‘clean’ of my music library, then had to fully rebuild it. It’s a LOT of songs and takes a very long time, unfortunately. NBD

I will revert with requested feedback on the weekend.

@bmillham
As requested, feedback posted here.