Sharing files on separate Kodi devices on my network

I have Kodi running on my network at home… two seperate rooms and I have 4 different HDs connected to one that works great… question is how can I share those video and tv shows on my new VERO upstairs on the same network? I tried UPnP and can get access to the libraries but I guess I’m looking for access to the individual files. Is that possible? do I have to tag them somehow? is there a link or something that can show me? I keep getting an error… invalid argument when I try to access them through Video - Files - Add Videos - Browse - UPnP devices - Kodi (raspbmc) - Video Library - Files. I can then see the HDs that are connected… but can’t access any of the files…? anyone help?

Use the app store in MyOSMC on the HDD connected device and install the samba server. Then when adding sources, add via Windows Sharing option in Kodi. You will not see the files while doing this since you are only interested in adding the location.

I try the Windows sharing option… if what you mean is Windows network (SMB)… I can see the location but when I click on the share… in this case “pi” I get the pop up window telling me it is an invalid argument. ?? I understand that I wouldn’t be able to see the files… on the other My Music or My Videos I can play them if I go into title or year… .etc… but I can’t see the folders that have specific shows/files… hope that makes sense…

Enabling Samba (SMB) on the system with the hard drives attached will make those hard drives accessible over the network.

Once they’re available on the network, adding them to your 2nd Kodi should be rather straightforward.

Where is it that you’re having your problem? Please try to be as detailed as possible.

Enabling Samba … do I go to the Services - Settings screen them SMB client… I have WINS server with 0.0.0.0 and Workgroup is named WORKGROUP… does that enable it? or do I need to do something more?

It seems to work as I have it I believe through UPnP… I don’t think I have all of the movies in a library I think I just access the files as I want to play them. they do get scanned… I have all the artwork and info so it is hard for me to know for sure.

Some are in folders others not… might be part of my problem… Can I have TV shows along with movies on one HD and have it identify each and put them in the right place?

I know enough to get it working and enough to network it through my house but when it comes to these details… seems there is lots of misinformation out there and I just get confused.

Thanks

Go to My OSMC or OSMC Settings, then go to the App Store.

Scroll down to Samba (SMB) Server.

Click OK and then Install when the Samba window pops up.

Reboot your Pi.

(This should all be done on the Pi with hard drives attached)

When Samba is activated on the first Pi, add the source through “Windows Network (SMB)” when you browse for the source.

I was using Kodi on Raspberry Pi… not OSMC… so I reformatted my sd card… installed… added samba… but now I need the default password… is it listed somewhere?

Try:

user: osmc
pass: osmc

(just like for ssh)

Hello, I have similar the same problem, I guess: I want to share my usb-device, which is connected on the pi, in my network. I want to have full access via the windows-explorer and I want to read and also to save files (I know it’s not the best way and fastest speed, but that’s okay). UPNP is nothing I want in this case.

So I add the Samba-Server via Appstore, it’s running, it’s activated, but via my windows-explorer I only do have access to the 4 folders “Movies”, “Music”, “Pictures” and “TV Shows”. But the usb-device doesn’t appear here. What did I miss in the steps?

UPDATE: Ouupps… now it shows the device, but I actually don’t know, what have changed this. I deinstalled SSH, because I don’t use it. I rebooted the system. And now it’s there :smile:

Samba shares are automatically added when a removable drive is connected, however you’re correct in noting that if the drive is already connected at the time Samba is installed, those shares will not be added until after the drive is disconnected and reconnected or the system is rebooted.

Unfortunately there is no easy way for us to avoid that so perhaps we should put a note that a reboot is required for full functionality.