Sharing files with Windows PC via Samba?

I recently received my Vero 4k+ and got everything setup and working fine except for file sharing.

I only want to access stored local files on external HDDs and share them between my Vero and my PC (running WIN10 Home), with the ability to read/write new files from PC.

I read this post File sharing with a NAS, media server, windows share or other device, and it seems like the easiest and least technical way to achieve things is to install Samba server on Vero and to share OSMC’s files using SMB?

Connecting the Vero to the PC…I need to buy a powered USB and USB A male to A male cable to connect from the usb hub to my PC? And with that attached I’ll be able to browse to the samba shares from Windows? Can I use a 2.0 hub/wire or should I be getting a 3.0 one?

How exactly would I browse to the samba shares from Windows?

Is it ok to leave it on SMB 1.0 protocol? it says “To force a more secure protocol, add server min protocol = SMB2_10 to the [global] section of smb-local.conf.” I have no earthly idea how to do this but I don’t want to have security vulnerabilities either.

Forgive my noob questions but I am completely new to file sharing between devices.

If you have a single 2.5" USB drive, Vero should be able to power it. But it would be safer to use a powered hub in case the drive draws more current than USB2 can support. A USB2.0 hub is enough but USB3.0 hubs are cheap enough and will future-proof you. Try this one 4 Port USB 3.0 Powered Hub - OSMC.

You click on Network in Windows Explorer. The Vero should show up. Click on the shared drive, enter the username and password (osmc and osmc if you haven’t changed them) and the folders will open.

As long as the Vero 4K+ is on the same network as the Windows computer, you should be able to browse the share via Samba.

Vero 4K+ supports SMB2/3, correct? I would hate to have to turn on SMB1.

It does. You can select SMB version via Settings → Services
SMB browsing was deprecated after SMBv1 however.

Sam

As I understand it, SMB1 doesn’t make it easier for an attacker to get into your network, as long as you have a properly configured firewall on your router.

We will add some more detailed instructions to the Wiki.