Shipped advancedsettings - cache way too high

Hello
Since one of the last Kodi 18.x updates, Kodi seems to be way more picky regarding the video cache settings. I noticed this on a 4gb ram android device. Playback didn’t start at all as I set the memorysize value too high.
So I recommended the Vero 4k+ to a friend and he recently complained that he can’t start anything anymore (source is a remote Emby server). I checked his log and realized that OSMC ships an advancedsettings including a memorysize of 524880000 bytes / 500 Megabyte, meaning it actually uses 1,5gb ram for video caching only. This device comes with only 2gb ram so I’m really wondering why you put in such a high value? I adviced him to add an own advancedsettings into his userdata folder with a lower memorysize value and now everything is fine again.
So could you please adjust this value in the default shipped advancedsettings.xml?

Best regards

A lot of work was done to optimise these settings back in Kodi 17.6 days.

Looks like it’s time for a review.

Because for Kodi’s ring buffer implementation, it will never actually use near this amount.

It would be good to see some logs on his device before we make any changes that would impact a large number of users.

Sam

sure, what kind of logs do you need?
I’m having a kodi debug log. But if I remember right, osmc does some additional extra logging? Just tell me exactly what you need and I’m gonna ask him to provide it to me.

Thanks for looking into this.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot: