Skin changes lost after a reboot

Only happened once so far. Settings haven’t resetted so far fingers crossed.

You should setup some vnc so you can remotely take control of your parents machine if you need to change settings.

For me the problem occured at saturday for the first time. I upgraded to march update on friday… so the problem still exists :-/
As said by the others before: skin, region settings, web-remote-port and soundcard/volume were reset. Addon-settings were untouched.

yeah exactly… for a workaround someone can suggest how i can backup this preferences in some mode ?

Well there is always the OSMC backup tool otherwise cp -a .kodi/userdata .kodi/userdata_backup

did you use berryboot ?

mmmmmmmm… but if i want only to backup the skin settings ?? This command setup all userdata folder… it’s not my idea :slight_smile:

Hello,

After the OSMC March update, the problem continues. Do you have any idea how can we make a workaround or when this problem will be solved?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
André

I need some debug logs as I can no longer replicate this problem

Sam

I have the kodi.log before the issue and after the issue

(before the issue)
kodi.old.log: http://paste.osmc.io/zicegoqaco.dos

then I restarted

and the skins settings were lost
kodi.log: http://paste.osmc.io/ohadeziniw.xml

In the kodi.old.log The first line shows an error: “19:25:51.417 T:1958302640 ERROR: CProfilesManager: error loading special://masterprofile/profiles.xml, Line 0
Failed to open file”

And the last line is “19:56:37.549 T:1958302640 NOTICE: Saving settings”

I think that normally the last lines are: “21:43:31.914 T:1958306736 NOTICE: Saving settings
21:43:31.952 T:1958306736 NOTICE: Saving skin settings
21:43:31.956 T:1958306736 NOTICE: stop all
21:43:31.956 T:1958306736 NOTICE: stop player
21:43:31.956 T:1958306736 NOTICE: ES: Stopping event server”

Best regards,
André

It’s not a debug log.

Can you edit /usr/bin/mediacenter to pass --debug to Kodi?

Sam

Hi fausto

To backup skin settings open the skin folder inside userdata and save the settings.xml file although if your using the osmc or estuary skins there location is different. Think its usr/share/.kodi/userdata.

To restore skin settings first stop media center

Sudo systemctl stop mediacenter

Overwrite settings.xml file then restart mediacenter

Hope this helps

Well, it was not in debug mode when it happened, and now I don’t have anymore those logs.

Maybe in the next time

I’m more interested in actually fixing this problem.
Please help me help you…

i will try to replicate somehow with debug on. Its weird tho that we all had this the same day, i think it was the day time changes.

anyway i will try to.

mmmmmmmm… tomorrow i try to backup some files from pi2 directly to my pc and see what’s append…

I thinks when append i can simply restore saved setting and restart kodi using also systemctl restart mediacenter…

You can – but it’s probably better for us to fix this.
If you keep restoring the file, then the issue will never be fixed.

yeah but how i can help you or i can provide to you for help to investigate about this little trouble ?
I can’t reproduce this at every reboot but for me it’s append every x days in a totally random…

I’m getting this bug too. Many of my settings (most of them skin related) get wiped about once a week.

After reading this thread I activated the debug mode in the GUI settings, and was lucky enough to get my settings wiped after a reboot (well, not really lucky, it took me more than 20 reboots to reproduce it).

Anyway, I went to check my logs before uploading them, and found something very similar to what bonera posted (i.e. not debug logs). I guess these lines (which come after Kodi says it can’t load my settings and decides to create a new profile) are the ones to blame:

Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.
Log level changed to “LOG_LEVEL_NORMAL”

So, if I’m understandig it correctly, the fact that my GUI settings get lost is preventing me from capturing debug logs. Any idea how to go around this?

You could just pass --debug. But the issue is now resolved and I will post more information shortly.

Hi

Hopefully the issue is now addressed with the following commit:

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Thanks to @bmillham for testing.