Skin changes lost after a reboot

I’ve downloaded and installed, I only every saw the issue on a handful of occasions with no pattern that I could determine but will have a play around and report back.

Thank you

I haven’t had chance to do much testing unfortunately but I haven’t seen the issue of the settings resetting since installing the update

Spoke too soon :frowning:

Switched my RPi off over night and when I powered it on today the settings had reset again. Standard settings rather than expert and various other settings back to default including total uptime

for me after the update and for the meantime the problem is gone. after sevral reboot my settings and backgroud stuck in place
thanks

To anyone still experiencing the problem, can you try:

wget "https://www.dropbox.com/s/p800v9t86ccugvx/rbp2-mediacenter-osmc-settingsfix.deb?dl=1" -O rbp2-mediacenter-osmc.deb
sudo dpkg -i rbp2-mediacenter-osmc.deb
reboot

The build above is for RBP2/RBP3 (most popular platform) and I’d rather build for one platform for now until Kodi 17.1 lands shortly.

Sam

installing and will report tomorrow after a lot of restarts

Maybe placebo effect but it seems faster? Snappier? like there are no delay?

Will report later.

Thanks @sam_nazarko

well i do not tink it is placebo effect. Something is different. It is faster. More responsive. It is like there was a limit before. Ad then i saw cpu usage with htop and cpu temp. Cpu usage is at 50 to 60% even when playing movies when before it was at 10 to 20% and less when playing a full hd video.
Was there any kind of limmit in cpu usage from mediacenter process?

Interesting, I’ve been running this fix (at least I think it’s the same one) for about 4 hours and while do do agree that the GUI is faster, I do not see the increase in CPU usage. At idle right now, I’m seeing < 10%.

03:25:40 up  1:07,  1 user,  load average: 0.13, 0.31, 1.13

This is on a Pi2.

What skin are you using?

(Before anyone asks, I did lots of reboots, so that’s why uptime is not 4 hours)

Amber skin.

I will make a fresh install tonight and check again.
Ui is faster a lot. Dont know what changed under the hood

Still in testing but I have to agree GnF: everything goes smoothly.
The problem with the settings appears resolved.
But what stands out clearly is the ease of use.
Remarkably faster.
I do not see a really higher CPU or memory usage…

Still further testing needed.
At the moment it’s too early to give a final conclusion.
But the speed and smooth working: that’s for sure.

Skin: Confluence

so i fresh installed, exactly the way i want to test new things. Fresh and clean.
It is much smoother and i really do not think it is a placebo effect. But anyway.
No high cpu usage so i guess something went wrong in my old installation. Usage with amber skin now is between 10% and 25% when on home screen and i think that is quite good.

Up to now i have restarted around 50 times with no skin settings revert to default. I will keep on testing for the next couple of days and report.

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve tried the version available in jessie-devel with Confluence skin; after some reboots all my settings are kept correctly and I’ve noticed as well that the speed of interface is somehow much more responsive.

Keep the testing on. RPI2 + Confluence skin

by,
Den

These changes are now available in the OSMC March update.

There’s no need to follow the instructions I previously recommended above to get these improvements.

Sam,

thanks for all the effort you put into it; also a big ‘thank you’ for the rest of the team to make osmc an os as it is now!

Hi Sam,

I’ve talked too early… today rebooting via remote the RPI the system switched back to OSMC skin replacing my choice (Confluence); as far as I can say put Confluence back again I’ve found that some settings are kept as I configured:
Shortcuts
Language (English)

But others were lost:
OMXPlayer hardware acceleration
Weather service
Weather on top left

On previous releases all the options set for my chosen skin were completely lost; this time only some of them.

by,
Den

Damn… i have the same exact problems on my Pi2… i’m usually use Estuary skin instead of OSMC Skin and sometime and when i turn on my Pi2 days after days at startup i see the OSMC Skin it’s be loaded instead Estuary Skin.

I need at this point to re-choose estuary and re-need to SET from begin all my preferred like the Regional Setting and WebRemote to 80 instead default 8080 and put again username and password.

When this append i need also to be set all audio preferences like i usually use +10db gain and sometime i need also to use Videocalibration.

Apparently this is append not every restart but it’s append every week or two week and in totally random and i don’t know because there’s append.

At this point i have some question:
After i have set all my preferred value… there’s exist some files for backup my currect preferences ?

I hope someone can try to help and answer my question :slight_smile:

I must have been lucky up to now. Since the update I’ve not lost any GUI settings. I do still have a problem with profiles being reset and the old problem of missing menu text after a reboot unless I logout, change skin or change font.

Yeah just happened on my rpi3 also. Skin specific settings are ok but general settings were all reset.

I spoke to soon. I’ve just turned my Pi on and found all settings reset again on both profiles. The only thing remaining was the two profile names and the profile password. The password protection on settings had disappeared again though :frowning:

i had exactly the same behavior today. That happened after a clean install since last update and with no addons at all (did not have any time to set them up or install them).

i had no extra profiles setup. i just had done a clean install with nothing else. Only different skin.

Maybe it did not like the change of time?:joy:

forgot to say that this time all my skin settings remained intact. I lost all kodi settings and skin reverted to the osmc skin. But changing back to amber skin amber skin settings where there.

this thing is starting to be a pain in my @@@. I hope i don’t get an angry call from my parents telling me to get my @@# over there to fix it :stuck_out_tongue: