Skin changes lost after a reboot

Looks like we will need to add that. Thanks for letting me know.

Iā€™m having the same issue with my RP3. Iā€™ve read the thread and Iā€™m a bit confused. Is there an update I have to run manually or was there a patch that was pushed down via automatic update?

I am very new the the RP3 and Linux in general. Very basic knowledge.

Itā€™s in our testing repository but is likely to be pushed to public with the next update that should be available in short order.

I have a possibly stupid questionā€¦ about my previous reply i have installed some many updates for see if this little issue itā€™s disappears :slight_smile:

Right nowā€¦ i need to leave the voices from sources.list or i can leave it here whitout any problems for future release ?

I think what you are asking is should you leave the changes you made to sources.list?

Way back when the change was recommended:

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

So the answer would be to remove (or you can just put a # at the start of the line) the line you added.

Yesā€¦ exactly :slight_smile:

Okā€¦ i put a # at start of develop voicesā€¦

Thanks for suggestā€¦

Uhm, thatā€™s surprising!
Shouldnā€™t we hook apt-get by a script that dumps a warning and asks for ā€œdoing anyway [Y/N]?ā€, then calling the original apt-get?

regarding the line in /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
ā€¦ sorry, as I just found out, I put the line into the wrong Pi. I accidentally confused 192.168.0.197 with 192.168.0.179. So the device under observation still has normal jessie source, while my spare/workbench testing equipment was shut down for a week, right after apt-get upgrade. Lost a week of investigation results. Nobody got hurt :wink:

ā€¦ BTW, another observation is:

1. the reboot/crash has a very high probability around 02:00 and 05:00 oā€™clock in the night. This is apx. 3ā€¦4 hours after pressing the ā€œSquareā€ or ā€œStopā€ button on the remote, while life TV streaming was active until the button pressed.
  2. the reboot/crash has a higher probability on RPi3/WiFi (>10 Crashes) compared to RPi2/eth0 (4 Crashes in the same time)
  3. the crash/reboot never loads some of the confluence settings (weather, big icons, video calibration) on RPi3/WiFi, while the same has a 50/50 chance on RPi2/eth0
  4. but the crash/reboot always loads TV/EPG channels on RPi3/WiFi well, while the same always fails on RPi2/eth0

May be all these observations are worth nothing, but somebody should note it. Done hereby.

A QUESTION
How can I tell KODI to log all and everything to an external syslogd (UDP myserver.home:514, format RFC 3164)?
I have such deamon running 24/7 and Iā€™d prefer it over SD Card writing.

Cheers,
Laser_Man

There is a warning since quite a while:
ā€œRunning apt-get upgrade on your system can cause adverse effects on your system
Use apt-get dist-upgrade, which is the proper way
to administer a Debian / Ubuntu systemā€

We can do yes. I have already tried to do this but it looks like you can get around it.

apt-get upgrade is not recommended by Debian.

Sounds power related.

You canā€™t. You can redirect journalctl to a remote syslog server, but not Kodiā€™s logger.

Sam

Hello everyone.
I have added the line in etc / apt / sources.list
I have updated it with the commands that Sam recommends, but I still see it in kodi March 22nd.
What can it be?
Thank you very much.

Post the output of

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

and

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Iā€™m having the same problem as a new OSMC user - so not sure if I can help with debug. Raspberry Pi 2 with fresh install of OSMC 2017 03-01 and attached usb hard drive, ethernet cable, usb keyboard. Last night I had two profiles: Master, Test. Today the Test profile is gone. This may have happened just after making changes to DialogSeekBar.xml using WinSCP and then a reboot. Last night several such reboots did not change the two profiles. Today I did an update via My OSMC which seemed to install 31 items then presented message ā€œno updates available.ā€ In anticipation of providing logs I tried the grab-logs -A -C command to see what sensitive information may be contained in logs.

grep: /var/log/apt/term.log: No such file or directory
grep: /var/log/apt/history.log: No such file or directory

I am reading through the uploadlog.txt file now to see what information appears in the logs.

Itā€™s a known issue with 2017.03-1

It is not yet pushed as a stable update, itā€™s only available in devel. See above.

i have the problem with crashing or rebooting on all my rpi3 installations. I cannot imagine that all my power supply have gone bad. maybe if it was 1 or even 2 but i own 5 rpi3. The bad news is that there is no log about those crashes and it is the reason i have not report it.
Usually it happens when i press stop and even much more when i press pause. havent notice a more frequent time range tho but since i guess i am on a different time zone it will be hard to much.

my main problem is that when this crash happens usually its not only kodi that crashes but all the system (cannot login normally, if i end up to be asked for a user name over ssh i am never asked for a password).
Anyway without been able to catch proper logs its like a ghost talk that does not exists.

Then you have a hardware problem, and the solution I have proposed in this thread will not remedy this.

You shouldnā€™t be having crashes. The problem discussed here is regarding a loss of skin settings only on a reboot.

It could be any of your attached peripherals.
Unfortunately there doesnā€™t seem to be a concencus of regular crashing in recent versions of OSMC; so without logs we canā€™t tell you what it is.

Ok.
Iā€™m going to test it this night.
Thank you!

Ok.
Iā€™m going to test it this night.
Thank you!

Hi Sam,

[quote="on my Statement "] the reboot/crash has a higher probability on RPi3/WiFi (>10 Crashes) compared to RPi2/eth0 (4 Crashes in the same time)
[/quote]

you answered

Yes and No.
Yes I also would say its power related in the 1st degree.
But there are details that are against this theory:

1. I only use official Pi PSUs which are able to deliver 2000 mA or more, because I always purchase official Pi Kits
  2. The RPi3 consumes only up to ~300 mA, even while watching tvheadend life TV (Astra 19.2E FullHD Channel ā€œServusTVā€, for instance)
  3. When doing so, the Voltage is at 5.0x to 5.10 Volts, at 1 ms resolution (donā€™t own a scope)
  4. No external components are ever attached, just Power + HDMI + WiFi Antenna
  5. I cycled multiple PSUs, the problem stays at the two KODI boxes, does not walk with the PSUs
  6. at one of these sets I replaced the SDCard and did some hard compiling jobs (reading SDCard, compiling with -j4, writing to Samba share) while running X windows system and keyboard and mouse - no crash for hours.
  7. we have really damn good power network here. No dropouts or such, I monitored it for 48h with a Min/Max peak storing voltmeter - always 229 to 234 Volts, while one KODI box crashed in the second monitored night.

so, the PSU topic does not fit here, really.

Aside,

• to make sure itā€™s not even the PCB, I purchased one more RPi3 yesterday, started with the official 03/22 OSMC. Just to not change too much parts at a time. Will watch it ā€¦
  • to make sure itā€™s not OSMC, I ran one of my 2016 purchased Boxes with libreELEC (KODI17): same issue was seen two times within less than 48 hours. And the issue is also in discussion at their forum, if I understand it right.

My guess is: itā€™s a zombie thread from one of the video players which is still walking through the memory after stopping the player! Why I think so?

• I never saw a problem when Kodi was IDLE for hours, f.i. after browsing some holliday pictures or after looking into Yahoo weather.
  • I never saw a problem when I forgot to stop life TV but just standbyā€™ed the TV while KODI still decodes TV stream for ā€¦ days
  • I ever got the trouble minutes to hours after pressing the [STOP] ā€œsquare buttonā€ on my remote, at the end of watching TV.

Finally,
you asked me to check with jessie-devel ā€¦ Iā€™ll do it, right after the new RPi3 hardware with jessie-stable gave me a result. I tried to do it on the living room TV, but my wife got upset and banned me from changing this :frowning:

BTW,
greetings from my wife: Nice work, but please do not give up because of the current issue!
She just told me, she is very very very sure, the problem was never ever seen with what she calls the ā€œChristmas Versionā€. You know, a RPi3 with OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20161128.img.gz was my Xmas gift for her, this is what she refers to be the ā€œChristmas Versionā€. As she also reports, the bad crashes and nightly ghostly powering on TVs (CEC wakes the TV on reboot) came up after the week with a bigger family party. This must have been after Match 19th, and yes: I updated two boxes to the new version on March 23rd, file OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20170322.img.gz, as I found on my disk.

Thus, after finishing all the other tests, Iā€™m thinking about a step back to OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20161128.img.gz. Please do not see this as criticism, but as one more cross reference test and one more source of information!

BR,
Laser_Man

We need logsā€¦ You have yet to provide themā€¦ Without them, we can only speculateā€¦

That cannot be correct.

Watch for those spikes.

Need logs to know what the problem is.

Not criticism at all. I hope you solve your issue.

But make -j4 and compiling do not stress 3D components of the Pi which consume the most power on the device. You can max ARM out at 100% with no issue on some PSUs, but when the RIL components are involved, itā€™s suddenly a problem.

If you also have problems with another distro (LE), then itā€™s probably likely you have a hardware issue. Last year we had freezes on OSMC and LE, that were caused by a mouse pointer bug; but as there are not any recent reports of crashes and freezes, Iā€™m not sure we can say this is software related.

Please start a new thread ā€“ as it distracts from people suffering a loss from skin settings on reboot, which isnā€™t very fair and makes it harder for me to track this issue.

But in short: 99% of people that donā€™t think they have a power supply issue have a power supply issue.

Sam