Skin changes lost after a reboot

@Laser_Man
Do you by chance have an UPS you could hook one of your PI’s to?

Ich have 2 PI B+, one PI 2 and one PI 3 running here without a problem, and not crashing (Not talking about all the Vero’s).
I rather suppose that it is on your power grid that you should look for the issue. The UPS would at least confirm that.

PS: I am one of these people with a Power-Supply issue. I even happened on a Vero 2, and a PI B+ (from my experience).
These PSU’s die after a while, and I have no clue why. The only of my devices that never made problems was the one connected to a UPS so far.

I understand that this is only a hunch on your part but my understanding of the term zombie is that it is a process or thread that has already terminated but might still be hanging onto some system resource(s). If it really has terminated, it’s unlikely to go chomping through memory, though may still be hanging on to what it had.,

If you want to follow-up on your hunch, why not create a cron job that will look for zombie processes (not so sure about threads). Something along the lines of
ps axo pid=,stat= | awk '$2~/^Z/ { print }'
will give you the PID of any zombie process. Just save it to a file for later analysis.

Similarly, if you think that memory is disappearing over time, the same cron job can run the free command or vmstat If things crash, you’ll be able to validate your hypothesis.

Hi Sam,

Dunno if you still need feedback. Today I tried this update it seems to be solve the issue for me. I am using Aeon Nox. Skin and settings are all preserved after reboot. I will send any further developments.

The update did not change the date at /etc/os-release. I seem to be still using March release.

So when this will be ga?

Cheers,
~telar

Hi Sam,

could you kindly move my part of the thread into a new one? I’d propose “ghostly rebooting (after stopping live tv)” or such.

Even if I’m completely in doubt about the PSU discussion in my case, I highly appreciate your support anyway!

Why? You’ve provided nothing here of any diagnostic consequence. When you’ve obtained logs demonstrating your issue, open an appropriately titled thread with a concise description of the issues you are experiencing. In the meantime, please refrain from your continued threadjack of this unrelated topic!

Has this still not been solved?! I am having the same reset problem after updating to Krypton. My other units that have not been updated still work fine and retain their build settings. Upon a random number of reboots it says “xonfluence has updated and needs to restart kodi, OK?” This NEVER occurred before updating osmc.

Do I need to do a manual update? If so please answer “yes” in simple English. Otherwise, do I need to revert back to an older version?

This problem is very annoying especially considering everything worked fine!

2 posts were split to a new topic: This is how I threadjack threads that are unrelated

I’m seeing this also with latest Kyrton production release (2017.03-1) on two RPi3 installs. Sometimes I can go a week without any settings being lost, others it will happen two days in a row. Most common pretty much all settings are lost (skin changes back to OSMC Skin from Estuary and all skin, player, media, service, system settings reset). Occasionally just simple things will reset like all the main menu options will appear again (I hide most of them).

I’ve tried to track any usage pattern and have found none so far with the unit I use. The other RPi3 is with non-technical family so they just panic and call me (the skin change is too much for them).

The fix is in our staging repository. There may be other, unrelated changes/experimental updates on this repository!! The following instructions are to be followed at your own peril !!
To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

See if the issue is resolved.

It is also imperative you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Hi ActionA

I’m on the staging repo and so far skin specific settings are saved (menu layout etc).

But just had system settings all reset upon reboot (interface media system etc).

Although i updated the staging repo a week ago so unless it was fixed since then.

It’s hard to reproduce as doesnt happen after every reboot.

It’s been there for almost 2 weeks…

There are no other reports of system settings being lost. That would have to be a different issue.

The user a few posts above has same issue. Do i need open new thread for this or is it ok here?

Ok… So this is still the same issue. These are all specified in guisettings.xml and the entire problem is one of changes to this file are not persistent after reboot.

The user above didn’t update though. They said that they are still on the Kodi build from 22nd March.

I’ll try reupdating to latest staging repo see if issue still persists

Make sure that Kodi is actually being updated.

How do i check if im on the latest staging repo. Still says April 5 2017 in kodi system info.

I’m not sure my last staging repo update completed successfully as putty lost connection. I left it a half hour before i had to pull lead as putty couldn’t reach it. Says recovering journal on reboot. Everything seems ok.

Ran update again says

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Calculating upgrade… Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Does this mean i’m on latest version. Thansk

I have the same issue, and I was with the April build. I’ll provide logs later, if you want them.

Did you install the staging repo?

Did you apply the test build from our devel repo? I’m not advising you to do or not, we just need to know if you are reporting the issue pre- or post- our possible fix?