Skipping/jittering/blipping music

I’ve had trouble with music playback for quite a while (occasional skipping and jittering audio), but have been too busy to try and fix it.

Thing is, today I upgraded to Krypton and now I can’t play music at all. Nothing but intermittent “blips” of audio from the speakers, as though the buffer was failing on me or something. So I’ve set some time aside to write a forum post - hopefully any solution will help others too.

Video playback was/is working fine, making it all the more confusing. How can it smoothly play a 2GB MKV file, but fail to play a 3MB MP3?

I have tried the following:

1. Added the following to my ~/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml:
  1. My Music (and all the rest of my media) is being accessed via SSHFS mount points that I set up with systemd by SSHing into the Vero2. I Added “cache=yes” and “kernel_cache” to the options line in my /etc/systemd/system/mnt-Music.mount file.

Neither of these helped. At this point any useful advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a ton of PHP coding to do, and I’d really like to have my music to listen to while I work!

Let’s start with the basics.

• Revert the changes you have made.
  • Copy a file to your SD card, and try and play it locally. If it plays back OK, try SSHFS, if that fails, it gives us an idea what the problem may be.

A debug log may also give some clues.
If you have a specific MP3 to replicate the problem, it will also help. I have a Spotify Premium account so if it’s something I can grab from there that will help too.

Sam

1. Try top copy teh file to the SD Card an play from there to identify if it is a network problem or another issue
  2. Provide debug enabled logs

Thanks for the insanely fast response!
If I wasn’t so caffeine-deprived, I might have realised that throwing a few cache commands at the problem wasn’t going to tell me where it was!

I’ve moved my .kodi folder to a backup, slapped an MP3 into the SD and rebooted “clean”. The file plays. It didn’t play off the SD before I cleaned out the .kodi folder, so I’ll dig deeper in there, I guess.

Okay. You can restore portions of ~/.kodi bit by bit until you find the culprit.

Logs might give you a hand.

Cheers Sam :slight_smile:
Just waiting for my silly-huge profile folder to stream into my NAS (backup).