SMB connection problems on Vero4K


it seems that my SMB Connection on my Vero4K has some problems.

It was working for years now it’s very slow.
Kodi starts and shows “preparing” for a long time until it starts searching for updates in the database.
When I stop that and start a video, it takes several minutes to play the video.
Also the playbay is not fluent anymore.
And stopping the video also takes very long.

No Hardware has been changed. Software I’m also not aware that I changed something what could influence this (Only changed DNS Server, but changed back)

After initially no connection, I changed SMB settings on Kodi and my QNAP NAS, currently:
Kodi on SMB v2 only and QNAP on v2 and v2.1 (I think it was 2.1 before the problems started)

Not sure if maybe Vero is causing the issue? Is there any way to check this?

Any help to help getting it back to original state?

NAS is working fine on the PC, no issues noticed.


We might be able to help you if we have debug enabled logs.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

  • enable debug logging at settings->system->logging
  • reboot the OSMC device twice(!)
  • reproduce the issue
  • upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A
  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Activated Debug, but when I hit Reboot OWMC freezes (when “prepare” is active).
I did a powercycle twice, I hope this generates the same logs.
If not, I have to disable check library on startup.

So the “prepare” is also a sign, that something is wrong with the connection.


Disabled Check Library, restarted Twice, started check library manually.

Changed SMB Settings on NAS to Min v2 Max v3
Restarted Twice, Started Library Update.

I think I found the issue… my Pi-Hole caused this since the last update…
After I removed the Pi-Hole as local DNS it works again.

What’s strange about it, is that I also disabled the blocking on it and also in the Quary I couldn’t see any blocks…

So yes, there were lots of ‘unable to open’ SMB errors in your logs (which are no-longer available).

Did you have two DHCP servers running at the same time ? and now you have one ? (there should only be one for the local network).

Let us know if you resolve it, here in this thread.

No, only the one on the Fritzbox (Router).
I remember I did a pihole update last week (the last time when I was home).
Before it was working fine for at least 2 years.
No other changes besides that, so maybe a bug in the pi-hole update.

For now it’s working perfectly fine. Will leave the pi-hole disabled for now.

Thanks for helping on checking the logs!

If you are using the Fritzbox as a DHCP server the Pi-Hole DHCP server should be disabled. You can have one OR the other enabled, but not both at the same time on your local network for DNS to work properly.

This is my Pi-Hole ENABLED for DHCP/DNS :-

My DHCP is diabled on the Pi, so this wasn’t the cause.
I also didn’t change any settings on the Pi, the only thing is I updated my FTL and then the problem started.