SMB is empty

I referred to it for temporary enabling for setup and disable it afterwards to ensure security.

Not totally clear what you mean by that. Maybe share your sources.xml so that we can check if that is correct format.

I am requesting that the owner of this project provide a guide on using SMB with Windows. Waiting for a user to fail and then telling him to share an error log or configurations is exactly the backwards way to do it. Everyone will save time and energy if you include a manual with a product as terribly unintuitive as this one.

Well, you can consider this forum as tech support. Tech support may ask you for things like logs. With out those logs it’s about impossible to know why you are having problems. If you are concerned about private info in your logs, then say so and a mod will probably tell you to PM the logs instead.

1 Like

I was finally able to connect to a SMB share after finding this obscure line in the guide linked above:

For SMB, smb://user:password@SERVER/sharename/folder

There was no way on earth I could have guessed that as none of this was required on Fire TV. It is very disappointing that this was not suggested when I started this thread over a month ago. Once again, I strongly urge @sam_nazarko to write a decent guide for SMB users and provide it as a first aid to Windows 10 users asking questions about SMB. While forum help is appreciated, you can see how it can fail when people start asking you for logs or troubleshoot your settings when all I needed was clear instructions on how to get started.

Additional issues that have now arisen:

1. How do I add additional child directories as video sources without spending several minutes on typing out that hellish line with the online keyboard over and over? On Kodi, there was a way to select a child folder with a context button and add it as an additional source. I don’t see that ability in OSMC. I know there is no browsing from smb:\ anymore, but there IS browsing from a parent shared folder to a child folder, so there should be a way to add additional sources that way.

2. How do I start OSMC in ‘Favorites’ or ‘Videos > Files’ by default? I don’t use the Library in Kodi due to a lot of incorrectly identified movies and duplicates.

3. Selecting Videos > Files > Movies makes the animated OSMC logo appear for 10-15 seconds or longer every time. Is this a bug and how do I fix it?

4. How do you enable subtitles? I pressed the menu button during playback and see “Local subtitle available!” but am unable to select it.

5. How do you FTP into the Vero from a Windows computer that is on the same LAN?

Thank you

@Knocks: Although I can understand your frustration regarding the current situation with kodi and SMB3, I would like to remember that all people here including the mods offer their time and help for free. Regarding this “urging” and expressing your disappointment: This might not help to motivate people who want to help … it’s not what you say but how you say it.
You’re welcome to start your own how-to article for this or work with @grahamh to improve the actual one if necessary.

Coming back to your list of issues you now have:
This topic has got the title “SMB is empty” and not “Knock’s actual problems using kodi”, so I would like you to split these items from the current thread and open an individual topic for each.

Thank YOU

2 Likes

@JimKnopf I realize that my post was strongly worded, and I stand behind it. It was not directed at the members of the forum but at the owner of the project, who sold me a piece of silicon enclosed in plastic for $165 on the premise that it was going to be easy to use. Well, it’s not easy to use, and it has been anything but easy to set up.

I have no intention of committing time to write documentation for this product. This is no longer Kodi, and I am not just another community member who’s whining at the developers of free software. I am a customer of the company and consumer of the product who has been asking legitimate questions about a basic function for over two months and just received an answer today.

I have respect for Sam for pulling this project off and congratulate him on graduating into the world of selling a real commercial device that is very competitive with other Kodi boxes, but the reality is that he is playing with the big boys now. If he hasn’t received strongly worded feedback about the lacking set-up documentation, he has now. I can’t imagine an entrepreneur who cares about his company getting upset about this type of feedback from real-life users.

@JimKnopf’s point is a good one - you should follow his advise. OSMC is based on Kodi as a mediaplayer and therefore mostly the same effort has to be put into setting it up as other Kodi devices would require. Without getting into setting this up, the setup process won’t do itself. The criticism you’re offering is based in the assumption that anybody here or before purchase had promised a one-click setup and ready to use device to you. It’s definetly not that. But which device with such a variety of capabilities offers such a setup process when offering such a huge customizability at the same time?
Customizablility comes at a prize and that is some getting into everything on the user’s side. We have all been through this and some of us have helped write these guides to make it easier for users to come. So, you’re welcome to help improve the guides or open up a new thread to figure out any difficulty you’re having setting up your OSMC device.

Well, honestly, IMHO you’ve missed the point then. This is an open-source project which is depending on the help and commitment of users as well. It most definitely is still Kodi - the mediacenter part (besides the hardware/driver side) is based on Kodi and therefore the setup is the Kodi setup process (media shares, etc.)! Common sense tells us, that an open-source device based on Kodi will always also require the user to do some work - and not everything in Kodi or open-source can and will be perfect for everyone. That’s how it is IMHO. :wink:

It would be setup documentation for Kodi. That’s out there and also provided here in the forum. Any help that is needed to work on solutions for a specific user is of course depending highly on the community or you contact Sam directly via the support mail address. People here are doing this in their freetime and demanding help in a strong manner after posting a long list of questions that weren’t asked before… Well :man_shrugging:t2: That’s not helpful.

4 Likes

You don’t need to add children as separate sources. Once the parent is a source, you can browse within it, pick any folder and scan it into the library. This is standard Kodi behaviour. The way Kodi uses ‘sources’, and ‘library’ takes a bit of getting used to but as soon as you abandon the notion of organising your media by file folder and use the library to its full potential you may understand the Kodi devs logic.

Settings->Interface->Other->Startup Window. If you are not using the library, then I suppose your Q1 is because you want to effectively set up shortcuts to subfolders of the top level source. That’s not really what ‘sources’ were designed to do, but you can achieve it, yes, by entering hellish lines over and over. Plug in a USB keyboard to make it easier.

This happens as Kodi is looking for the folders where your media is stored. In my case, my media is on a disk that goes to sleep so I get the OSMC logo while the disk wakes up. There could be other reasons for it but probably all to do with your network and media server.

Install the FTP server from the AppStore under MyOSMC.

I can’t help you with subtitles. We would need to know what media you are trying to play.

If you can be more specific about what you think is missing from my Wiki article (I don’t understand why you think that line is obscure for example) I’m quite happy to improve it.

If you have subtitles available they normally would be automatically shown. If that is not the case after pressing menu go to the speaker symbol and click “enable subtitle”

You would be better off using the Library feature. It may be a bit of a pain at first getting all your files named correctly but it’s worth it in the long run. If duplicates is the problem, make sure that you include the year of the movie in the name (an example from my collection):

The Man Who Knew To Much(1956).dvd.mkv
The Man Who Knew To Much(1934).dvd.mkv

On movies that seem to come up the the wrong name, check with themoviedb.org for help getting the correct name.

It’s worth the effort to get the file names cleaned up and scanned into the library.

I’m curious if you have a smart phone (Android or iPhone). Did you get documentation with the phone? I suspect you got minimal documentation, and even less support from the manufactured. (and probably paid more for it). Just a thought.

I don’t use the Library in Kodi due to a lot of incorrectly identified movies and duplicates.

It’s only you which can know what is the right relation file → film/or TV serie/episode name.

But you have a good tool to help :TinyMediaManager

Here you can make your choice for every file, it’s need a little bit of time, but you have a clean library with nfo files and a clean Kodi Database.
And when you don’t found what you search, the solution is easy. Create your account in TMDB, ot TVDB, and then you can created your needed film, TVSerie or episode.

1 Like

I believe we have now written a guide for SMB users.

Hopefully you’re now able to enjoy the device and see its value. I’ve made a note of this issue and placed a credit on your account for a future order.

Give us a shout if you need any further help

Thank you, Sam. I look forward to integrating the Vero into my living room and will share feedback (in a more agreeable format, hopefully :slight_smile:).

I will also start separate threads for the questions already posted above, per @JimKnopf, and tag the users who have already provided possible answers.

Edit: @sam_nazarko I believe I checked out as a guest last time and might not have an account with the store.

Your forum account would be tied to your store account if you’ve logged out and back in to the forum and made a new account.