[SMB] Slow access to shares

The issue you are currently experiencing with OSMC
Slow access over SMB using <IP> syntax and slower access using <hostname>.local syntax.
The SMB Share iss hosted on a Synology NAS.
The standard smb://<IP> syntax allows me to access the share very slowly but within a reasonable time frame (around 10 seconds to open a folder with 130 elements).
Using smb://<hostname>.local syntax takes over 60 seconds for the same operation.
This cannot be replicated on a MacBook, which is able to open the source in less than a second.

What you were doing when this issue occurred
Adding libraries to OSMC

Can replicate this issue on demand?
Accessing the Source even after it has been added is still suffering from the same performance issues, so every access replicates the issue.

The device you are currently running OSMC on: Vero 4K

What peripherals are attached to the device?
The official remote.

Has this issue been introduced by a new version of OSMC? When did the issue first appear and can you recall a time when it was not present?
This my first setup of the device and I can’t speak for previous versions.

Since I really don’t want to mount the shares on the Vero (they’re not mounted on the laptop either), what are my options to make this kind of access faster?

Slow DNS resolution.
MacBook probably uses Avahi + friends for quicker resolution.

With an fstab based share, I find SMB access instant.

I can understand that you want to use Kodi’s built in share support, but it’s not at its best now on many platforms. An fstab based mount will give you the best performance and support, and we’re happy to help you get that up and running

Sam

That was one of the things I thought, but I tried to time that and it doesn’t seem it’s the cause:

time getent hosts rpi3.local
10.0.0.130      rpi3.local

real	0m0.374s
user	0m0.000s
sys	0m0.000s

I will try with fstab, but it has the very distinctive disadvantage of requiring ssh for the setup, which is more complex than just putting in a path.