So far only one issue with the Vero 4K...no boot with drive connected

Not sure if this is the same problem I had a while back but it sounds similar. I had a powered HDD caddy which would get stuck in an endless loop of rebooting. I removed the PSU and it worked (and is working) fine as an unpowered HDD.

Probably takes longer to spin up without a PSU and masks the symptoms.

I will have something you can test soon

@lstar337

Please give this a go:

sudo fw_setenv bootcmd "if test \${bootfromnand} = 1; then setenv bootfromnand 0; saveenv; else run osmcfromsd; run osmcfromusb; fi; run storeboot"

via SSH.

Please make sure it’s copied so it’s all on one line, or it could prevent your system from booting correctly.

I’d suggest copying it something like Notepad first and making sure word wrap is disabled etc.

@zinken has a similar issue, but says if he waits one or two minutes, his device then boots. Can you confirm if you have waited for a similar amount of time and still experience the problem?

Sam

OK, I brought my box into work today to give this a try.

Just tried this Sam, up to 7 minutes so far and it’s still stuck in a reboot cycle. I don’t think it’s likely to come out of that.

@sam_nazarko

I entered the code through SSH and there is no change in behaviour.

I don’t know if I did it right or not though.

I haven’t used SSH a lot so I don’t know if there should be any confirmation or not.

This was what I got from Putty. Ignore the error, that was just because I rebooted after entering the text you sent me.

Let me know if I missed something or did something wrong.

Looks correct, just wondering how did you reboot if you didn’t do it via SSH? Just normal via the GUI?
Also on question to compare the issue with what I experience. Does it always hang when booting with the USB Disk connected? I mean if you have the USB Disk connected and it hangs if you then unplug and replug the power does it boot or does at again hang until you unplug the USB Disk?

I rebooted using the GUI first. When the behaviour was the same, I then tried rebooting by removing and replacing the power cable.

If I boot with the drive connected it will say “please stand by” and cycle over and over in that condition until I remove the drive USB cable, then It will boot as normal. I can re-insert the drive USB cable during the OSMC logo start screen and it will boot fine.

If I use reboot from the GUI, it will also get stuck in the “Please stand by” boot cycle until the USB cable is removed. I can also re-insert during the OSMC logo start screen and all is fine.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, at least confirms slightly different than my issue. While both issues where hope to be temporary solved with this workaround (which is not the case)

1 Like

Yes – it looks like you did run the commands correctly.

I don’t have any suggestion for this just yet I’m afraid.

Sam

That’s OK Sam.

It has been far less of an issue than I originally thought it would be.
My old box used to power off (of sorts), which required it to boot up each time. Since the Vero doesn’t really go off, it doesn’t need to boot regularly and so the drive doesn’t really have that much of an effect on day to day usage.

My only real concern is that if it crashes or something, and I am not around, the rest of the family will not understand why it doesn’t start back up again. Fortunately, due to your work, I haven’t even seen a crash yet. So I don’t think it a major problem.

If you think of something, I’ll happily try it out, but don’t break your back over it. At this point I’m more concerned over what makes my TV crash on the odd occasion.