Recently I setup my own shadowsocks proxy on my own VPS as I am currently living in China. I can attest that this has been successful and runs on both my windows pc and android phone - this is probably because the gui is a lot more straightforward to use I guess
So I started looking at getting the client installed on my kodi so that I can stream youtube. I used this guide: Install And Use Shadowsocks Command Line Client on Linux - LinuxBabe
- I installed pip via apt-get
- Got pip to install shadowsocks
- Setup a config file (/etc/shadowsocks.json) as follows:
server: (server address outside china)
server_port: (server port as set on server outside CN)
password: (as set on server outside CN)
(I omitted speech marks, and the config script was successful anyway)
- Ran sslocal (sudo sslocal -c /etc/shadowsocks.json -d start)
- On kodi I set socks5, address as 127.0.0.1 and port as 1080, leaving password and username blank
- I then tried pinging google.com to no avail, and the youtube or vimeo addons also do not function.
Any idea what is happening? I’m still not using Linux on a regular basis so I figure I may be missing something for this specific debian setup!