[SOLVED]choppy netflix on rpi3

Hi,

Fisrtly, hello to everybody on this forum (my first post here…).
Well, I’ve managed to install netflix as an kodi extension video on my raspberry pi 3 media center coupled with a FullHD TV). Not an easy task but people out there worked hard for that so kudos to them, especially the guys here that provided the correct explanations and links.
I can fill in and navigate netflix menus easily but I’ve very frustrating feelings:

• From several profiles, the majority of movies and series are jerky, slow and often buffering. Some videos neverthless are smooth with no buffering.
  • From “kid” profile, everything is fine. no stuttering, smooth videos. But hey, i’m no more a kid !
  • with every profile, default audio/subtitles are german so i have to switch both in english each time and that is quite boring.

I’ve bought mpeg-2 and vc-1 license keys.
Kodi 19.0-RC4 is running on osmc 2018-10.1.
I’ve used ares wizard to optimize cache management, my internet bandwith is 10 MBytes/s and local wifi bandwith is 3 Mbytes/s between the router and the osmc rpi3.
I also can read locally nas-based fullhd videos perfectly with the osmc rpi3.
I’ve a 4K smartTV in my bedroom with netflix and it runs smoothly even with 4K streaming !

Any tips ?

Well you mention FullHD tv, are you trying to run netflix at 1080p? That won’t be possible with most of Netflix content, since Netflix is software decoded, the CPU on a PI3 isn’t fast enough to handle 1080p.

Under settings for netflix addon, go to account, inputstream settings. Chose max resultuition 720p on both max resolution

hey joachim,

i gave it a try by modifying inputstream options (max->720P) and it worked out.
Thanks. But it’s still a bit frustating to lower the resolution hence the video quality.
I’m thinking about switching to VERO 4K. is 1080P and 4K available and smooth on netflix with this device ?

Vero4k is better at it, BUT you still have dropped frames at the time of writing this. So even if it hurts to say, but are you looking for a 1080p Netflix experience in Kodi you need more raw CPU power, or an android device with the regular Netflix app.

OK thanks for the advice !