[solved] Honey Pi GPIO IR Reciever on Pi 2

Hi,

So, I have found a bunch of posts all going different directions about how to get the GPIO receiver to work. I have a couple PIs running with USB IR recievers and they work fine. I can get to the part where I see the pulses and spaces from running “mode2 -d /dev/lirc0.” But I can’t ever seem to get past that point. I installed Alpha 4, and have performed all the updates in the OSMC Settings app. Does anyone have a definitive way to get a GPIO receiver to work on OSMC on a Pi2? I don’t need to keep this install either, I can start over from a fresh install.

Thanks,
Josh

I think I have found the error. See below:

root@osmc:/etc/lirc# sudo systemctl status lircd_helper@lirc0
* lircd_helper@lirc0.service - lircd remote support
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/lircd_helper@.service; static)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Jan 01 00:00:06 osmc sh[306]: lircd: error in configfile line 3
Jan 01 00:00:06 osmc sh[306]: lircd: reading of file '/etc/lirc/lircd.conf' failed
Jan 01 00:00:06 osmc sh[306]: lircd: reading of config file failed

But I don’t know what to do with that. I checked line 3 in the hardware.conf and it looks ok, and I checked the lircd.conf and line 3 looks ok there too. I also deleted the symbolic link in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf and just copied the file over from /home/osmc. I have no idea where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Josh

Not sure if you’ve had a look at the following OSMC Forums

Hi,

Have a look at my post from another thread below for a workaround to get the GPIO module loading on a Pi 2 (won’t be necessary with the next release as we will have a new kernel)

From what you posted above, it appears that you do have a problem with your lircd.conf file - so we would need to see a copy of it to figure out what might be wrong with it.

Can you use the new log uploader function in OSMC settings to upload both your lircd.conf and System Journal ?

So I have been through both of those posts at length. I definitely did the one DBMandrake quoted. I did a fresh install, updated OSMC using the OSMC Settings tool, and the made sure I had a pertinent lircd.conf file in the /home/osmc directory. When I ran “systemctl status lircd_helper@lirc0” and saw the error that said “Jan 01 00:00:06 osmc sh[306]: lircd: reading of file ‘/etc/lirc/lircd.conf’ failed” I tried deleting the link to the /home/osmc directory, and installed the file directly into /etc/lirc which didn’t solve the problem. Is there another method of updating that I should be doing other then the scan for update and install update options in the OSMC Settings app? Is there an ETA yet on Alpha 5?

Thanks,
Josh

There is clearly a syntax error in your lircd.conf file but without the asked for logs there isn’t much we can do to help.

DBMandrake,

I didn’t see where anyone asked for any logs. I provided the results of “systemctl status lircd_helper@lirc0” What else can I give you?

Thanks,
Josh

This was what DBMandrake asked you for in post 5, 2 days ago.

I didn’t even see it. That’s my mistake. I guess I thought everything after the blue box was a signature. I apologize. I will install a fresh copy, follow the instructions and use the log upload when I get home in about 4 hours.
Thanks,
Josh

Hi,

So I did a fresh install of OSMC, got it all configured and when I tried to update I got a message that says, "Error Installing: Please report this on the OSMC forum. I will try again in a couple hours.

Thanks,
Josh

Hi,

It’s a shame you’ve reinstalled because we are in the process of re-versioning many of the OSMC packages, including the OSMC settings addon. This means it’s no longer possible to update all packages to the latest versions from a fresh install of Alpha 4, and is probably the reason for the error you’ve just posted.

Unfortunately it might not be possible for you to get any further with this issue until the next Alpha/Beta is released, as the next release will require a fresh install.

Hi,

So I got it working. My lircd.conf file was missing the line that says, “bits 16.” Also, I just did an update and it did a pretty sizeable update and my kernel version is now showing February 22nd.

Thanks,
Josh

Glad to see it was indeed a problem in the lircd.conf.

You will still get updates for some packages like the kernel, but some other packages like the OSMC settings module you won’t receive the latest version because the renumbering has effectively made it an “older” version than the original.

So some packages will be up to date and some out of date, which might have unknown consequences… (probably nothing serious, but some things might not work quite right)

Final release is not far away now (28th) and you will need to do a fresh install to get it, so I wouldn’t spend too much time customising your install in the meantime.