[Solved] July update wiped out Live TV

Yeah, i’m at a loss too. Just can’t figure out why others aren’t in the same boat. Yes, i did configure it, but i am a little confused by the default IP address for the server. The default is 127.0.0.1. I didn’t remember changing this before, but just in case, i tried the IP address of the RPi (its running both the client and the server).

I’m using the default skin (same as before).

When/how does the .kodi directory get created? What does “starting fresh” mean (format SD card and reimage OSMC)?

I’m on the tvheadend irc channel now and will see if they have any ideas. I hate to think i have to go through that server configuration again.

if i copy off my .kodi and .hts directories and then completely reinstall OSMC on my SD card (and the TVHeadend server), can i subsequently replace the .kodi and .hts directories then boot into OSMC and have all my configurations back?

That will likely defeat the point.

You could try stopping Kodi, then simply 'mv’ing the directories to see if this is indeed the issue

Sam

well, i think i found what the issue is… during the update, the TV setting was disabled (i had forgotten that i ever enabled it to begin with). anyhow, once i enabled the TV feature in OSMC, i now get a window that keeps popping up saying “TVheadend HTSP Client connection lost”.

The guys on the Kodi IRC channel are saying that “the backend support is gone” (wrt tvheadend). I’m lost???

@sam_nazarko , I had this happen once when i was installing tvheadend backend manually using @HarryL 's instructions. One of the instructions was missing a parameter and i had this same behavior. When you guys build tvheadend, you’re not building it against a particular OSMC build, are you?

The server is independent to Kodi (the client)
The client is built with Kodi

But this should be OK and other users seem to have not reported issue

Sam

btw, here is a log file http://paste.osmc.io/nuwoxesewe

I think my next step is to wipe the SD clean and start over… bummer

Edit: there is some interesting stuff in the log file:
20:28:33 25.915939 T:1753449504 ERROR: ADDON: Dll Tvheadend HTSP Client - Client returned bad status (1) from Create and is not usable

as well as a bunch of other “bad” stuff related to tvheadend

well it does say you are not using the correct username and password for tvheadend in the kodi pvr “addon”?

20:28:19 13.257931 T:1713415200 ERROR: AddOnLog: Tvheadend HTSP Client: pvr.hts - Command authenticate failed: Access denied

check your tvheadend interface/website http://osmc_IP:9981 if there is no username password needed then that info should also be removed from tvheadend client in kodi.

-H

Yes, i did see that as well. But username and password are the same for both (the defaults)… osmc/osmc. But, i will try changing them both and see what happens.

Edit:
Well i’ll be a monkey’s uncle… that was it. So, here are the chain of events that led to the failure:

• On initial install of server from the app store, i noticed a UN and PW were required (and i correctly guessed osmc/osmc)
  • I configured one mux manually on the server before i enabled the TVheadend HTSP Client in Kodi
  • I then enabled the TVheadend Client in Kodi and it automatically enabled the TV function in Kodi (i never manually enabled it) and it found the server. At that time, i entered the UN and PW. All was working.
  • July update installed
  • No Live TV option
  • Unknown to me, the update had simply disabled the TV function (Settings>TV>Disable), so theoretically at this point, i would just need to enable it again, only i never enabled it in the first place (it was done automatically)
  • I disabled/enabled the client multiple times (configuration retained)… no help, b/c TV wasn’t enabled
  • I uninstalled/installed the server multiple times (configuration retained)… no help, b/c TV wasn’t enabled
  • I uninstalled/installed the client multiple times (configuration retained)… bla bla
  • I changed the IP address in the client config… no help, bla bla
  • At some point, i hit “Defaults” on the config in the client. I thought the UN and PW were default (why i thought that is beyond me) and didn’t notice the UN and PW were now gone <- BIG SCREW UP ON MY PART
  • Alas, i found the Settings>TV>Enable setting and enabled TV
  • Kept getting the aforementioned window pop up and still no Live TV option in the main menu
  • @HarryL points out the obvious and boooyyyaaa, it works (all previous config retained)

Main take away is that the July update changed my Settings>TV configuration and it simply needed to be changed back (enabled). Thanks for the help guys.

If you’re here because an update removed the Live TV option from your main menu, you can read through the above thread if you want to but the bottom line is, the update may have changed your TV settings (Settings>TV) from enabled to disabled. And even if your client indicates “installed” and the server indicates “running”, if the TV function is not enabled in OSMC, it won’t work (apparently).

So why is this marked at: Solved in post #31 when there are only 30 posts listed?

Liked raspBMC on rPI and love OSMC on rPI2. So far I’ve tried two DVB-T USB Tuners: Pinnacle PCTV & Hauppauge WinTV Nova-TD. TVHeadend will not scan either (or even recognise the tuners. . . ‘connecton lost’ msgs at each scan attempt) with or without powered USB Hub. Based on this thread it appears to me that the TV stuff is now broken in OSMC after previously working!!! I finally got around to installing OSMC on rPI2 a few months back so the TV stuff has never worked for me. I’m assuming it’s just broken.

Any ideas on where the problem(s) lie and if there’s a fix available or even possible.

Not sure why the “solution” is off by one… my post marked as the solution was the last before your post.

Anyhow, OSMC is working just fine with Live TV on my setup. I haven’t updated to the latest version yet (still on the July update) as i’ve left this setup while awaiting the return of the HDHomeRun EXTEND device to the market. Now that it’s back, i’ll probably pick this back up and convert my other TV over.

To your question, i never got TVHeadend to scan my channels. I had to manually add muxes. But i did ask my tuner to scan (it has a web interface), and print the results to a text file. I then grep’d the text file to obtain all my mux frequencies, then manually added them in the TVHeadend server web config interface. Not sure if this is an option for you with your tuners, but i have no experience with other tuners so no advice past this.

Thx for your suggestion. I’ll play around a bit more when I’ve got the time. I’ve been using the, approximately 10 year old, Windows Media Center for years and each time I added a different tuner it scanned, found channels and after 10-15 minutes I was watching and recording TV. This has not been my experience with OSMC :confused: but I’m not sure why. Maybe it only supports a limited range of USB stick tuners and I need to buy another one, but since others have had TV services fail after updates I’m not sure if my issue is simply that the software is now broken.

Maybe the next update will fix everything :wink:

I’m in the same boat… Win MC has been very straight forward. Unfortunately, support is dwindling (latest guide transition still plagues me, netflix gone, etc…) and EVERYTHING is out of my control. With OSMC, a lot of it is in my control. That control comes with extra effort for setup.

Also beneficial is that OSMC runs GREAT on an RPi2. Can finally get rid of my noisy HTPC!