[SOLVED] OSMC on RPi2 - No Fan Art, Scraping, ETC

I feel really stupid asking about this, especially since I have seen so many images of gorgeous GUI’s filled with fan art, movie descriptions, etc. I do not have any of that wonderful stuff with my install however.

I love this forum, as I typed, a topic popped up explaining how Media Companion helped a user.

But reading about it says that Kodi is set up to scrape my collection for all that I need, by default. Not the case for me.

Is it because I am using a DLNA server to get my movies, music, and shows? miniDLNA is set up on my home linux LAMP server. I can play movies and shows, but all I can do is click video, select the video sources I added, I see a plain old list, and select from it. No fan art, descriptions, backgrounds, nothing. I have searched every option and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the scrapers to do their thing.

What am I missing? And again, sorry for the stupid question.

OH, and this problem led me to enable SSH for my openelec, found I could not APT-GET anything, so I went with OSMC, and still the same problem with the movie info and fan art. Like this image better on my RPi2 though.

DLNA/UPnP is really the last resort in my opinion… It’s implementation in Kodi is (still) hit or miss… Share from your server with NFS (preferably) or SMB and add the share as a source and set content type in Kodi to achieve the beauty you seek.

Thank you. Now I at least know that it could be a UPnP issue. Not sure how to share with NFS with linux but I will search on it. That is a Windows-only thing isn’t it? I thought SMB was the reason I could see my mounted external drives from my home server in the first place. I suspected it was too easy. Should I do away with miniDLNA on my home linux (debian) server entirely?

Thank you ActionA for your time and reply!!

If this instance of kodi is the only reason you are running miniDLNA, dump it… Just back up an punt with traditional linux methods… IMO, it’s 100% more reliable…

Actually, what started all this WAS miniDLNA. It worked great for my smart samsung TV, but not so well with my RPi2. I ignorantly assumed that NFS was a Micro$haft thing, but I have recently read that it is viable on my Debian Jessie home server setup. I also have the Samba option too. I have some homework to do now. Thank you!!

NFS is the native file sharing protocol in linux… the M$ answer would be SMB, which might be sufficient but, the key is - Linux -> Linux = just use NFS…

I totally agree, plus, my Debian Linux home server is one all the time. So are my beaglebones and other RPi’s, my Teensy’s, Pro-Mini’s, pic32mx795’s unless I sleep them via power management until they need to wake.

@HopWorks
No need to do away with your miniDLNA setup especially if you still want to use it with e.g. your Samsung TV. Just install NFS or SMB in parallel pointing to the same data source.
NFS is the preferred and recommended path for Linux <-> but if you also want to access it from windows machines go for SMB

Great to know, thank you. I am looking for a guide for setting up NFS, maybe something specific to what we are doing here. There seems to be some variety setting it up depending on security concerns and preferences. This is diving into areas I haven’t encountered yet and would rather understand what I am doing opposed to just copy and paste CLI.

I hope this is it, as you guys say. I am looking forward to the GUI I was hoping for, scraping, maybe database support, cross referencing actors, cinematographers, etc. :sunglasses:

Thank you ActionA and all the others. Configuring to serve NFS from my Debian home server did the trick. It’s beautiful!!

1 Like