[SOLVED] [RC] connmanctl ethernet tether issues

After upgrading to RC3 the Ethernet doesn’t seem to receive internet from Wi-Fi. The ‘connmanctl tether ethernet on’ command works, the /etc/connman.conf file is edited as per the above, the Ethernet gets an IP assigned via DHCP but somehow it doesn’t receive internet from Wi-Fi.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Tethering is now supported via the OSMC interface

Sam

Thanks @sam_nazarko. I’ve played with the interface as well but the issue seems to persist.

You shouldn’t need to edit /etc/connman.conf anymore, the new default settings include tethering:

I’ll have a look tomorrow and see if I can reproduce the problem - only a couple of things have changed that could potentially affect tethering.

One hunch - can you edit /etc/connman.prefs and try changing dnsproxy back to yes, then reboot ?

Thanks @DBMandrake. I’ll try editing connman.prefs tomorrow. I’ll also try reverting the changes made to connman.conf to the original version, I only edited the priority of preferred technologies and tethering technologies.

I’ve changed dnsproxy to yes but the issue remains, no internet from Wi-Fi to Ethernet. I also tried reverting connman.conf to its original version but no joy.

Ok thanks, will try to reproduce it.

Can you provide a bit more information - what is the client operating system that is connecting via Ethernet ?

Exactly what IP settings including default gateway and DNS are being assigned to the Ethernet client ?

If you try to ping a website from that client machine are DNS lookups failing ? If they are can you try pinging the website by ip address ? (Find the IP address by pinging from another machine)

Ethernet cable is connected to a Sony TV. Not sure what OS it runs but should be Linux based.

The IP address assigned is 192.168.0.2 and subnet 255.255.255.0 like before. My Wi-Fi connects to the router under the same subnet and its IP is 192.168.15.5.

Pinging the TV from a laptop seems to work fine. However, I can’t ping a website from the TV, not sure it’s possible. Cable connection seems fine with blinking lights, local network seems to work OK from pinging the TV but somehow internet is not routed.

Hmm, something a bit confused about your IP addressing there.

192.168.15.5 is not in the same subnet as 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0. Also if your TV is connected to the Ethernet port of the Pi with Ethernet Tethering on, it should be in a different subnet to your main wifi network, and is basically behind a NAT router thus you should not be able to ping from the laptop to the TV even if it was working properly.

What is the netmask for your main wifi network - 255.255.255.0, right ?

Since the TV will have limited diagnostic abilities can you try turning off the wifi on your laptop and plugging the Ethernet cable into your Laptop instead of your TV and see if the laptop gets internet connectivity, if not try the ping tests etc suggested above but from the laptop so we can rule out the TV.

Apologies, I meant subnet mask rather than subnet.

Out of the blue the TV has internet now. The dnsproxy=yes instruction is included in /etc/connman.prefs.

After coming back from a meeting internet routing from Wi-Fi to Ethernet seems to be working. I had previously rebooted several times with no joy but now it seems to be fine even after rebooting.

I guess I won’t be able to find out what it was.

Thanks for your helping out, I suspect changing dnsproxy made it work. Don’t feel like changing it back!