[Solved] Strange power behavior of connected Onkyo Amplifier to R-PI B+ running OSMC RC

Since I installed the RC version last Sunday, I’ve seen that after powering off the HDMI connected ONKYO amplifier, it automatically powers up again after a few seconds. When I power it off again then, it remains off.
I’ve never seen this behavior before and the exclude the remote control (Harmony One) and/or the amplifier, I decided to go back to OpenElec (version 5.0.6) and now I do not see this strange behavior anymore. Has anybody seen this before and could it be that it is one of the CEC/HDMI setting?

Below, my OSMC config.txt contents:
arm_freq=900
core_freq=375
sdram_freq=400
over_voltage=0
force_turbo=0
over_voltage_sdram=0
initial_turbo=0
start_x=1
max_usb_current=1
gpu_mem_256=112
gpu_mem_512=144
decode_MPG2=REMOVED
decode_WVC1=REMOVED
sdtv_aspect=1
disable_overscan=1
sdtv_mode=2
hdmi_ignore_edid=0
hdmi_safe=0
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=0
hdmi_ignore_cec=0

Thanks in advance.

change to
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

Hi CaNsA, thanks for the quick reply. I changed that parameter but the amplifier powers up again after a few seconds.

Check out the settings on your Onkyo A/V Receiver.

I had a similar problem with my Pioneer AVR, I think there was a setting in the HDMI Source section that enabled/disabled switching to a newly powered on source.

Go to Settings>System>Peripherals>CEC and try changing settings there

I went through the HDMI section on the Onkyo A/V receiver and played with some settings but it did not resolve the issue (the final results was that the sound of the LG TV was not coming to the A/V anymore…so I had to restore everything as it was before).
Note that I did not change anything on my Onkyo for the last 6 months. The only thing that changed was going from OpenElec to OSMC RC and then the issue started.

Any other suggestions?

There is a trick and that is to “program” the Harmony One to send a double power off with about 5 seconds in between but I do not like this “solution”.

Back up your current config.txt and try the one below.

arm_freq=900
core_freq=375
sdram_freq=400
over_voltage=0
force_turbo=0
over_voltage_sdram=0
initial_turbo=0
start_x=1
max_usb_current=1
gpu_mem_512=144
decode_MPG2=REMOVED
decode_WVC1=REMOVED

Interesting. This would explain why my Onky 616 was still on yesterday. Will have to verify if this behaviour can be reproduced.
Do you have “hybrid standby” turned off in the onkyo energy setup?

CaNsA: I used your config.txt in /boot and rebooted the device and the problem is still there so I’m back to my original config.txt.

frank_harmann Many thanks for jumping in and welcome to the club…grin…I had Autostanby set to ON and when I set it to OFF, it doesn’t make any difference…a few seconds after I powered it Off, the Onkyo switches itself on again… Note that with my Onkyo there is no “hybrid standby” option.

Ok, just checked. No problem here with Onkyo 616, OSMC RC and these settings:

Onky0:

• Settings->HDMI->all settings off, except Lipsync
  • Settings->Autostandby->On
  • (Settings->Network->Standby->On)

config.txt:
gpu_mem_512=256
sdram_freq=400
core_freq=375
dtoverlay=lirc-rpi-overlay
sdtv_mode=2
force_turbo=0
over_voltage_sdram=0
over_voltage=0
start_x=1
decode_MPG2=XX
sdtv_aspect=1
disable_overscan=1
hdmi_boost=2
arm_freq=900
initial_turbo=0
decode_WVC1=XX
gpu_mem_256=112

Hhmm…I do not have “dtoverlay=lirc-rpi-overlay” in my config.txt file. As I sometimes use the Onkyo for my LG TV sound, I cannot set all HDMI settings to OFF.

I’ve seen there are more problems with CEC reported and as I also have a problem with fastforward and subtitles enabled (also reported), I decided to go back to OpenElec for the time being.

As reported earlier, the automatic Power On of the Onkyo does not occur with OpenElec, so I decided to compare both config.txt files and in the OpenElec config.txt I found some parameters not present in OSMC. The good news is that after I added the first (and most likely) one to the OSMC config.txt file (hdmi_force_hotplug=1)’ and performed a reboot, the Onkyo does not power up itself anymore after a regular power off.

For your information, the following HDMI parameters can be found in the OpenElec config.txt but not in OSMC:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_force_edid_audio=0
hdmi_pixel_encoding=0
hdmi_ignore_hotplug=0

As the issue was solved by the first parameter, I did not add the other ones to the OSMC config.txt file. I leave it to the OSMC experts what to do with them.

So, for me the issue is closed now.