Sound sync issue - 4k+

Hello,

I just received the 4K+ and I am having an issue with the sound syncing up with video. It seems that the video stutters, and the sound is unable to catch up. I am using HDMI audio from 4K to TV, then TV to sound bar via optical (no ARC).

I am also noticing high CPU utilization. This is when I run top:

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
569 root -2 0 0 0 0 R 55.6 0.0 7:53.05 dhd_dpc
72 root -51 0 0 0 0 S 24.8 0.0 3:24.77 irq/248-sd_emmc
566 osmc 20 0 681904 166300 28352 S 8.3 9.1 2:30.98 kodi.bin
2880 osmc 20 0 7140 1516 992 R 0.7 0.1 0:01.65 top
1 root 20 0 26360 3592 2548 S 0.0 0.2 0:01.11 systemd
2 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 kthreadd

Additional information: it seems that the video/audio sync issue is specific to TVheadend, running on another server. I have confirmed that there are no issues with that server with Kodi TVheadend client running on a Fire TV stick.

Hi

Please try checking for updates. This should solve the high CPU

Checked for update, running 2018.08-2 without an available update.

Please post a log so I can check this. Also perform a cold boot.

Thanks

Sam

Any specific type of log I should upload?

Been doing some debugging and I think I found out the issue.

  1. It looks like a cold boot of Vero 4K+ resolved the high CPU utilization issue.
  2. It seems like hardware acceleration of the two stream types I have (MPEG2 for ATSC OTA feeds, H264 for IPTV feeds) have to be turned off. This allowed de-interlacing options under Video settings, and switching to “Deinterlace” resolved the sync issue.

For #2, is that supposed to be actual behavior? I’d be happy to provide logs, just need a little hand holding on how and which logs to generate.

https://osmc.tv/wiki/general/how-to-submit-a-useful-support-request/

Thanks for the link. Please see URL below.

https://paste.osmc.tv/cewiwoqewa

I turned on H264 hardware acceleration, then switched to an IPTV feed that is transmitting through H264, and let it run for about 30 seconds. This behavior is consistent across reboots (cold or otherwise).

And the high CPU utilization is back. Attached is the log. I turned on logging, full shut down, unplugged/replugged the power, and uploaded log.

https://paste.osmc.tv/qebovuqeke

Update on CPU utilization: leaving the Vera on all night, same high utilization still.

Is it will that dhd process?
Are you using WiFi or Wired Networking?

If you continue to experience problems it may be an idea to reinstall OSMC.

It was the dhd process.
I am used wired.

I did a reinstall of OSMC, and since there is only july 2018 update online, did an update to 2018.8-2. The high CPU utilization went away. However, the issue with TVHeadend client not able to utilize hardware acceleration still persists. Here is the log:

https://paste.osmc.tv/utazenuhex

I won’t pretend that I am an expert at this, but I noticed this in the log:

19:56:00.138 T:3867669248 ERROR: Unable to load libamplayer.so, reason: libamplayer.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
19:56:00.138 T:3867669248 WARNING: CAMLCodec::CAMLCodec libamplayer.so not found, trying libamcodec.so instead
19:56:00.138 T:3867669248 NOTICE: Opening stream: 2 source: 256
19:56:00.139 T:3581932288 NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86019, channels: 6, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)
19:56:00.147 T:3590320896 NOTICE: CAMLCodec::OpenDecoder - using V4L2 pts format: 64Bit
19:56:01.401 T:3590320896 NOTICE: Previous line repeats 1 times.
19:56:01.401 T:3590320896 WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
19:56:48.977 T:3581932288 NOTICE: CVideoPlayerAudio::Process - stream stalled
19:56:49.983 T:3590320896 WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
19:57:17.568 T:4079411792 NOTICE: CVideoPlayer::CloseFile()

I have not encountered issues playing local or NFS video files.

This shows the hardware decoder is used.
As it’s not a debug log though, it’s hard to see why you are experiencing an issue

Cheers

Sam

I’ve been doing a lot of experimenting on the settings, and I think I have it figured out. I have to turn on Adjust display refresh rate under player/video, and also set the Fallback framerate to 59.94 HZ under PVR playback settings. These two settings seemed to have fixed the issue for me.

Yes — you should keep Adjust Refresh Rate on. Glad this works well for you now.