Source file problem after migrating to Vero V

So I installed the Vero V today by exporting a full backup on my Vero4k+ and then importing the backup on the Vero V. After rebooting everything seems to have carried over nicely, but when I try to update library my log is full of errors for all paths in the library:

2024-03-11 20:25:39.021 T:3503  warning <general>: Process directory 'smb://USERNAME:PASSWORD@10.0.0.9/av/_TV_/Show/' does not exist - skipping scan and clean.
2024-03-11 20:25:39.066 T:3503     info <general>: CleanDatabase: Starting videodatabase cleanup ..
2024-03-11 20:25:39.284 T:3503    error <general>: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://USERNAME:PASSWORD@10.0.0.9...
                                                   unix_err:'2' error : 'No such file or directory'

and so on for each and every show.

Looking at the sources.xml everything looks fine:

<sources>
    <programs>
        <default pathversion="1"></default>
    </programs>
    <video>
        <default pathversion="1"></default>
        <source>
            <name>_TV_</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://user:pwd@10.0.0.9/av/_TV_/</path>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>
    </video>
</sources>

When I go to Videos / Files I can access the shares and folders and play media from the server, but the library somehow cannot connect to the source shares.

Any ideas?

thx!

You may have to set the content again for each share.

Having your sources.xml setup like that really isn’t ideal since it is storing your credentials in the database for every file path. I’m guessing this is a pretty old setup as Kodi for many years now has by default stripped credentials when you add a source. What you actually want is for it to look something like this…

<path pathversion="1">smb://10.0.0.9/av/_TV_/</path>

and in your userdata/passwords.xml file you would have corresponding lines something like…

<path>
    <from pathversion="1">smb://10.0.0.9/av/_TV_/</from>
    <to pathversion="1">smb://user:pwd@10.0.0.9/av/_TV_/</to>
</path>

Which insert your credentials on the fly when it goes to read a file. This keeps your credentials out of the logs, the database, and makes it much easier to change them if need be in the future.

I’m unsure exactly where your issue is based on the snippet you provided but I would consider rebuilding the library with your sources setup according to the current standard.

Yeah thanks! The content was set to none for each share… setting it back to TV Shows and Movies fixed it.

You could say it is a rather old setup… I actually started using it when it was still called XBPLAYER on the original XBox :wink:

But with the Veros I’ve just become lazy as it simply works! So I just move over everything from whereever it was before.

Regarding your suggestion about re-adding sources in the new manner: I guess this would remove all my watched/unwatched status from the library?

1 Like

In isolation, yes it would. There are ways to preserve your library and/or watched status in the process however.

One option would be to export your library to individual files, overwriting existing, and optionally include artwork. You would then ideally then delete the video database and texturecache13.db with Kodi stopped to get a completely fresh start. Once you start Kodi back up you would then just set content on your sources that will still be there and update your library. It should pick up your library as it was with artwork and watched status (importing watched status from nfo files is now default so your don’t have to enable it with an advancedsettings.xml). This will also preserve the scraping source for your TV shows as well so this might not be the best path if your of the mind to switch your scraping source at the same time (ie from TVDB to TMDB).

Another option would be to use something like Trakt to preserve your watched status. This can also be used to sync watched status on multiple players that are not running a shared database. In the case of Trakt (the only one I’ve personally used) you would sign up for an account on their web site (free), install the add-on from Kodi’s repo, and then configure it in the add-ons setting for what you want it to save to the cloud and sync. Once you have been synced with that then you could go completely from scratch and use the add-on to sync your watched status back. Trakt is also handy for keeping track of when your shows in your library are getting new episodes with the calendar on their website.

Remember you can make a backup in case anything really goes sideways. You can also experiment and build your library up in a second profile. You could actually fix the whole thing up in a profile at your leisure and then when your content with it you could actually just copy files over from the profile to the master user. If your library really is that old and if you have a bunch of older shows in your library this is probably the way I would do it myself. There have been a lot of changes to individual shows (notably specials) on the scrapers over the years so there may be a bit of manual labor involved in checking show and possibly renaming a few files if you go completely clean without the nfo’s.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I should add that my library is in a MySQL database on another host as I’ve used multiple players for a long time (and makes moving from one system to another easier/faster). But apparently sooner or later some legacy issues will catch up with you. Don’t know exactly when I switched over, but I’m guessing the MySQL library is about 15 years old… Could probably recover lot’s of space there, too, from all the left over old DBs after migration to new format… :wink:

For MySQL just make a new temp profile duping the master user and then copy the advancedsettings.xml to the profile and add/change the MySQL name tag to something other than what you are using now. You can sort the whole thing out and when your happy then just change the advancedsettings.xml file on the clients to the new database name. Are you still running 5.5 or older for your db? I had issues with mine with newer Kodi versions and did the switch over to MariaDB as per the recommend from team Kodi. Something else to think about.