SPDF optical output: 24bit/192 kHZ for stereo music?

I am very happy vero 4K user. It is really great kodi box. Everything works perfect. Thanks for that OSMC team.

Just such question: can Vero 4K play on the same time 24bit/192kHz music (Flac file: 2.0 stereo) through HDMI and SPDF optical output.

I tested it yesterday (it was still on april version).
Vero 4K is connected with HDMI cable and with optical cable to Denon AVR-X2200W
Vero 4K audio output is configured as 5.1 with passthrough enabled to everything possible.

Then I listen to music what ever file Flac or WavPack (WV files) 16bit/44.1kHz or 24bit/96kHz or even 24/192kHz everything plays fine and my Denon receiver shows 44.1kHz or 96kHz or 192kHz accordingly.

But if I switch to optical input SPDF my Denon receiver play the same files ok ,but just 16bit/44.1kHz and 24bit/96kHz. Receiver shows/ confirms 44.1kHz or 96kHz output.

But with music files 24/192kHz with SPDF optical cable is nothing, just silent.

I know that I have to provide logs, and Vero4K oudio setings. I will do that tomorrow, After some more testing.

So I lost, maybe it is Denon AVR -X2200W fault, maybe AVR internal DAC can not play 24/192kHz stereo music through optical cable (SPDF input)
Mabe somebody have similar Denon receiver and tried it with 24/192kHz music with optical input?

1 Like

Some receivers can get 192k on optical. Most cannot. It also depends on the quality of the cable I think. @Chillbo’s 4300H can do it.

Your and my Yamaha RX-V373 can also do it, @grahamh. Same as a very old Yamaha RX-V450 or the Denon HEOS Link HS2… It’s more common than most would expect, I think.

Nope. It even works here with the cheapest cable I’ve got lying around…

The optical-in ports of Denon audio equipment are just very sensitive when it comes to 192kHz audio. I have to align the plug perfectly straight for it to work. Otherwise it’ll be choppy or even silent here as well. :wink: But there’s no guarantee that it’ll work.

My Sony STR-DN8400 does not process PCM with 192 kHz samplerate via S/PDIF, only via HDMI.

I wonder, where you get real audio material in such format, 2 channel, 192 kHz, 24 bit?

There are a lot of legitimate sources on the internet by now where you can buy hires FLAC music with up to 192kHz/24bit. It’s not rare anymore. Quite a big part of my music collection is actually 192kHz/24bit :man_shrugging:t2: