Spotify / SpotiMC

You mention on your main page that SpotiMC works with OSMC. Unfortunately this is not the case. Neither Spotlight or SpotiMC are currently working on OSMC with the Raspberry Pi 2 on OSMC.

I just setup the RPI2 and OSMC today and find out a whole lot of stuff does not work at all. Quite disappointing.

[quote=“polygonfuture, post:1, topic:2108”]
You mention on your main page that SpotiMC works with OSMC
[/quote]Where?

Also,

[quote]Release candidate

A release candidate (RC) is a beta version with potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. In this stage of product stabilization, all product features have been designed, coded and tested through one or more beta cycles with no known showstopper-class bug. A release is called code complete when the development team agrees that no entirely new source code will be added to this release. There could still be source code changes to fix defects, changes to documentation and data files, and peripheral code for test cases or utilities. Beta testers, if privately selected, will often be credited for using the release candidate as though it were a finished product. Beta testing is conducted in a client’s or customer’s location and to test the software from a user’s perspective.[/quote]

Quite disappointing that you have made a post to express your negativity without searching the forum (evidenced by the link below) to see how many shortcomings are currently being addressed or even explaining what functions or features have rained on your rainbows and unicorns today…

The above may even indicate that the Spotify issue may be problems with the add-on and not necessarily an OSMC issue…

Sorry. I did mistake the site. The comment was on the Kodi wiki page about OSMC:

http://kodi.wiki/view/OSMC

ActionA: I actually did search the forum, and read that very same thread. However you are right in that I did not search the forum to read all of the posts that there could be on things that are being worked on or fixed. I searched a variation on keywords for spotify and none mentioned any fixes related to it.

If a 3rd party Kodi addon (such as SpotiMC) doesn’t work properly you should be contacting the addon author - it’s not the jobs of the OSMC devs or Kodi devs to make sure all 3rd party addons work. (Any more than it’s Microsofts job to go around testing thousands of 3rd party apps to make sure they work in new versions of windows)

Usually what happens is the addon is left to languish with no updates - the addon API’s in Kodi tend to change with each major release and eventually the addon stops working if the addon developer does not keep their addon up to date.

It may also be that the Spotify API’s that the addon uses to connect to Spotify have changed, and again, if the addon is not kept up to date it will stop working.

Hi,
I have Vero and same problem.

Quote from osmc and vero sites: “Vero is OSMC’s flagship device” and “With the App Store you can install almost anything at the click of a button, whether it’s an add-on to listen to Spotify or a torrent client.”

maybe now it is problem for devs?

According to this post on the Kodi forum, the Spotify addon is not currently working on the Raspberry Pi 1 either, since at least the 29th of March. So this is not a Vero specific issue.

I don’t think you appreciate how the Kodi ecosystem works - it’s up to the individual addon authors to keep their addons up to date and working properly with current versions of Kodi or to fix bugs in their addons.

Addons like the Spotify addon that were once working can stop working after a while for a couple of reasons -

1. New versions of Kodi come out that have changes that require the addon author to update their addon to maintain compatibility.

2. The network/web API’s that the addon uses to connect to their service change and requires the addon author to update their code appropriately. In the case of the Spotify addon it uses the Spotify API to connect to their servers - any change in that API could break the addon.

If you’re having problems with the Spotify addon I suggest you post in the kodi forum thread that I linked as that is the official support location for the Spotify addon.

1 Like