SSD to store files

I am thinking of getting a Vero 4k+, could I use this type of SSD to store and play the files without the need for any extra wires etc?

Thanks for any help.

Vero 4k + has USB2 ports. These are fast enough but can only supply 500mA. This is unlikely to be a problem but it’s possible you will need a powered USB3 hub.

I have two SSDs on two different Veros that work fine but they are smaller and both are designed for laptops so ‘low energy’ versions. We usually only get problems with mechanical hard disks reported in here.

1 Like

According to a review I found (because I couldn’t find it directly from the OEM :poop: ) that particular drive peaks well above the 2.5 watts allowed by the USB 2.0 spec. Their test showed that drive going upwards of 4 watts. Although if you tried it anyway you may find it working initially, you could very well shorten the life of your hardware by doing so. Dedicated power such as a powered hub like grahamh mentioned would be well advised in this case.

Or I suppose the OP could consider the X6 version which they say draws only 2.5W. A bit slower but also a bit cheaper :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input guys. Would that X6 be fast enough to supply the unit with the data it needs?

I think with just about any SSD, it will be the USB interface that is the bottleneck, not the drive.

The read speeds needed for even very large video’s is relatively low because your stretching the reading of that file across a large span of time. Utilizing an SSD for this application isn’t going to get you much (if any) advantage over spinning rust. As for the difference between the X6 and X8 the read speeds for either are well above what is needed for this application and most of the differences between those two drives are not important if bulk storage of A/V files is the only thing your going to use the drive for.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for everyones help, really appreciated.

2 Likes

Sorry another related question if you would be so kind. I purchased that X6 Crucial drive and I now have it, I have just ordered the Vero 4K+ so that is on its way.

If I want to start putting files on the drive to get it ready before I receive my Vero what would be the best file system to use? Do I format the drive NTFS? What folder structure should I use? And is Kodi the best program to use as a player and be able to display my videos and tv series in different locations etc.

Sorry for the noob questions and thanks for any help.

Kodi is the default player and will be what you will be using.

You can format the drive with most common filesystems; NTFS is acceptable, but incur a performance penalty on Linux systems.

Regarding structuring files and folders, check out https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_library.

Thank you very much. So is there Vero running on linux? If so how should I format the drive?

Thanks.

Hi,

IMHO Ext4.

Regards Tom.

If your going to be using a Windows PC you will probably find it best to use exFAT which is probably what the drive already came formatted as. NTFS has no upsides in this application. Although the Vero can perform best with Ext formatted disks this is not natively supported in Windows so you would have to jump through some hoops to gain a little bit of read speed on a media player that wouldn’t be lacking in it regardless of which format you choose.

As for naming that wiki that Sam referenced should provide plenty of info. Although Kodi is fairly flexible on file name and structure I would highly recommend using…

<drive root>/Movies/<movie name>(<four digit release year>)/<whatever you want>
As long as your scraper is set to the ‘movie names are in folders…’ then this should be very reliable.

<drive root>/TV/<series name>/Season <two digit number>/<doesn't matter>s<two digit number>e<two digit number><doesn't matter>

The important bits here are that <series name> exactly matches what the show is listed as on whatever your scraper is. Sometimes adding a year to the show name is needed (ie “Doctor Who (2005)”) other times not (ie “Doctor Who” for the original run). Adding a season subfolder is not needed and will be ignored by the scraper, but you may find it helpful when manually interacting with large series. The file name is completely ignored other than the season and episode bit so just make sure you have a “s01e03” type of thing in the file name and your golden as far as normal use case goes.

1 Like