Stability of gaming (Raspberry Pi)

Hello there

this is not a rant or complaint and if nobody reacts - that’s fine too :-). I know that OSMC’s primary use is HTPC (and yet, I have a print server running on it at the same time) and it does a decent job. Still… I do wonder if there is anyone else but me who tried Retrogaming on Leia and after some minutes (maybe an hour) of (SNES) gaming got a stuck system, audio run in a second loop and the whole system unresponsive (including SSH). It’s very well reproducible - only the time until I hit the “sweet point” differs.

If I play the play the very same game inside Recalbox it’s rock solid. But I am sometimes too lazy to reboot to a different system.

So yeah… I did not do much debugging and with frozen system I don’t really see many options.

Cheers, jose

Raspberry Pi3, OSMC is current

There could be a number of reasons for that.

If you’re running a print server too, you might be hitting some resource pressure.

Keep in mind that gaming taxes the CPU and GPU components too. Is your power supply up to scratch

Sam

Thank you, Sam. Also very resource-light emulators (like NES) are doing the same thing, using official PSU from Raspberry Pi. But again… it’s not that much of an issue as I am dual-booting to Recalbox when I am in a mood for a game.

Unfortunately without some logs – it would be hard to speculate. It’s been some months since you started this issue, so I don’t remember if you provided further details.