Stutter with 29.970Hz MPEG2 NTSC video

Im making the mkv, but it looks like it makes 1 large file, this is no good since kids like to choose the episode…can I rip out all the episodes somehow since I wont have the meny anymore?

Choose the episodes you want to rip. Unless the disc is oddly mastered without the episodes as separate selections. If that’s the case there are ways to split. But for now lets just see if it helps your problem.

Its like 4 vobs but 40 episodes so yeah.

Ok will try it later, have to put kids to bed. It looks amazing on the pc.

Is handbrake ok?

No, use MakeMKV to just grab the episodes! No need for HB.

It only shows 2 titles 41 chapters and I find no way to do anything at all with it just choose the whole thing or nothing.

For now, just grab one of them for testing. If it works we can figure out how to split the video.

It works without stuttering as an mkv.

Tried the original again and stuttering starts after a while. If I stop and start again it works for a minute then starts stuttering. Is this about the 30 vs 25 fps?

Since it’s a NTSC DVD, it should be 30FPS.

Just to verify, you do have Sync Display set to Start or Always?

Default it was off, i then tried to set it to both start and always but it made no difference but actually added a black frame/hiccup and the stuttering was still there so I turned it off.

Ok. Since the MakeMKV version plays, we need to split that. But before doing that, could you post a screen snapshot of MakeMKV? It’s odd that you are not seeing the episodes separate.

I have no idea why its in 2 titles, Im guessing its an easter egg or extra video or something. The second one only contains a few episodes.

Hmm, that is an oddly mastered DVD. But don’t worry, there are ways to fix this :wink: mkvtoolnix is your friend :smiley:

Are the chapters the actual episodes?

I tried to chapterskip in vlc and it does look like the episodes is the chapters. Ill see if I can work it out in mkvtoolnix. I have used it before but it was a very long time ago.

I’ve done it before also, but like you, it’s been a while. Let us know if you need help. To get you started this may work:

mkvmerge -o output.mkv --split chapters:all input.mkv

Are you using MakeMKV on the original DVD, or on the copy that you saved?

Im using it on the copy since the original is way down in the cellar and a little hard to get to right now.

Im having alot of good outputs here and it actually looks good, i just gotta try it out on the system since im doing it on the server via teamviever now.

Well, if using mkvmerge is working, then I wouldn’t worry about getting the original. You won’t lose any quality as mkvmerge is only splitting, not re-encoding.

Looks like everything is working silky smooth now. I love having them split up its just gonna be a little work reorganazing everything with proper thumbs and so on (I like them in the tvserie but the moviedatabase has them as movies etc. so i have to make new nfos aswell) and also I have 7 of these chronologies lol.

One wierd thing happened tho, the first chapter got split into 4 so I actually had to append and merge that back into 1 episode but its playing flawlessly. Its probably a bad rip since im a newbie hehe.

Thanks for all the help. Ill do all the rest tomorrow its getting late now.

Glad we got things sorted for you. Enjoy!