Stuttering audio playback after the last update

Hi guys,

After updating my Vero4K couple of days ago, I noticed rather annoying regression when doing music playback. Audio is stuttering (stops for 1 sec) each 50 seconds or so. My music is in MP3 and OGG format, the issue is happening for both of them. Before that update everything was working fine.

Do you know what might be the reason, and how to debug/fix that?

Logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/ufugoweboy

Thanks!

We recommend people with 4K TV’s set their user interface (UI) to 1080p. Kodi’s UI is not optimized for 4K yet and this can put unnecessary demands on your device and can lead to a suboptimal picture quality, as well as potentially cause other issues.

The settings we recommend are as follows…

Settings>System>Display>Resolution> 1920x1080p
Settings>System>Display>Whitelist> (empty) *
Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate> On start/stop

Some televisions may also need, or benefit from, the following being set…

System>Display>Force 4:2:2 colour subsampling> (enable)

With the above settings your UI will be output in Full HD and your 4K content will be output in 4K. *Information regarding the whitelist can be found here. If you have any doubt, feel free to upload some logs so we can verify that your settings are indeed correct.

It’s possible this could have an effect on your issue.

Thanks! That was exactly that – I used 4k resolution on my Vero4K. After changing that to 1080p, sound works fine. Also found the same issue reported here: Audio stutter for 1 second every 27 seconds

Weird thing is, before the latest update the audio playback was fine. So either this update changed the resolution to 4k silently, or previous version was working fine on 4k.

Anyway, from user experience point of view, that would be great to show some message when user tries to set resolution to 4k, like “Kodi is not optimized for 4k resolution yet, freezes are possible. Please use 1080p for better experience for now”.

It was. Bug is proving difficult to find.

Sure, I can imagine, sometimes the debugging is hell… My point is, 4k might be not that desired by users (e.g. 1080p is good enough for me), but what is really confusing – is having issues without any warning, when you choose 4k. So from where I stand, it would be great (more valuable) to have some heads up message after update and when trying to change resolution to 4k. And once 4k is fixed – just remove the warning. At least those organizational measures would relieve the actual pain from users (IMHO).

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help! At least now I’m able to use my device again :slight_smile:

Point taken, but you always assume you will find the bug quicker than you can figure out how to make a very specific warning message.