Stuttering of recorded tvheadend HEVC after skipping

Hello everyone,

i found a lot of topics regarding to stuttering issues with the vero4k and 4k+ but i was not shure if any of this topics already would help in my specific problem.

I have a vero4k with latest stable release of OSMC. TVheadend is running on a different raspi with DVB-T2 (german edition). Recordings are save to a 3rd NAS storage. TVheadend is integrated to OSMC via the Addon.

Via tvheadend i have some recordings to watch shows later. Playing back this records later from the beginnen is not a problem. Everything is fine. But if i skip through the recorded timeline forward or backward i get really bad video stuttering while sound is fine all the time. I made a video snapshot of it: Dropbox - File Deleted

Maybe someone of you would like to reproduce. You can test this with my recording: Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

Best regards,
Bond

Does this only happen with HEVC? I think Germany switched to it for live broadcasts recently

Sam

I can’t compare with H.264 recordings. I’m using tvheadend only with DVB-T2 and HEVC.

But playback of x265 content from mkv files without the combination with tvheadend normaly is not a problem.

Ok — can you try change recordings to MKV and see if the issue still occurs?

Good idea.
Unhappily this didn’t helped.

Ok, if you copy a MKV to local storage like USB does it help?

Can you post a debug log?

Hello Sam,

sorry for the delay.
Today i made some new recordings with mkv and tested some different locations to play back the file.

There is no difference between playing the recorded mkv file via TV-Plugin, from a samba share or completly from the local storage.

debug kodi.log - Dropbox - File Deleted
test-file: Dropbox - File Deleted

Best regards,
Bond

Please upload the logs via My OSMC

Thanks

Sam

https://paste.osmc.tv/ayunihezof

Any news regarding to this?

I don’t have a solution for this yet but it is still on the list. I have some ideas and would like to resolve this promptly.

Sam

Hello Sam,

what is the status with that?
The problem still exists with the latest release. I think after the november update is was worse with .ts-files. After switching to mkv it is better but the stuttering problem after skipping is still there.

2nd problem with mkv, my osmc always starts activates the vtx based subtitles…

Curiously, i have this only with ARD-programs, not with ZDF-programs.
Do you need a new record for testing?

Best regards
Bond

Hi,

This should have now been fixed for some time.
I’d suggest trying the staging repository.

To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Hi,
Thanks for your fast replay.

I made this update yesterday and tested with a recording made at the same day.
The stuttering is still there at least with mkv packaged recordings and hevc.

If .ts files can be played back again i can’t say.

Thanks
Bond

Thanks for confirming. In this case it would be good to get another recording

Sam

Hi,

here is a new file: Dropbox - Tagesschau2020-01-30_20-00.mkv - Simplify your life

Bond

Hey,

It seems that the problem finally is fixed now with the new major release.
I think the the video stack does a good job :wink::+1:

So this topic can be closed.

Thanks for the work!

1 Like