Stuttering on very high bw audio encode

Looks like it’s being worked on by kodi devs here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/16704

There is a working ffmpeg build but these changes need to go back in to Kodi (I’ve explained this in more detail in another thread).

1 Like

We should all go camp outside whomever’s door it is till it gets fixed. When your family loves Disney movies more than any other, it’s annoying to have to listen to the lossy soundtracks.

If I un tick the “TrueHD capable receiver” option in the settings what will sound default to?
Thinking of using this so it doesn’t use TrueHD and avoid the audio stuttering.

A file containing TrueHD will have it decoded into PCM by the Vero and sent over HDMI as PCM. The only thing you would lose would be the Atmos channels.

I just wanted to add that this is happening in Plex (Shield) as well. I saw some comments that this was Kodi only.

Again I know this is a Kodi issue not OSMC but for those nearer to the jungle drums on Kodi is there any fix on the horizon for the drop outs under TrueHD tracks?

Is it more likely to be fixed in 19.x (Matrix) rather than any Leia release?

Unfortunately it’s not fixed in v19.

There’s a lot of discussion about this in other posts on this forum.

Yeah seems to be a lot of discussion but no fix from what I can find, the workaround I was using as in disable TrueHD then started crashing Kodi after the June update Vero 4k crashes since June update - #13 by sam_nazarko Did this get fixed?

As I don’t mind just disabling it but obviously can’t live with the crash.

The discussion on the Kodi side is to be found here: Kodi 18.4 crashes with high bitrate TrueHD+Atmos audio stream · Issue #16704 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub The crashing has been fixed upstream, but the stutters/dropouts haven’t. And the way it looks, there’s not much being done about this, unfortunately. The dev working on this has last worked on it end of last year… :man_shrugging:t2:

Ok thanks I’ll disable it once again.
The wife was complaining the other day of a stuttery film, I went back into the options and saw TrueHD encoder was enabled so disabled it but then remembered the crashing issue.
It must of enabled itself in a further update.

Rebuilt my 4k to latest build on Kodi 19 and see TrueHD stuttering still there so disabled again.
All the links seem to have gone cold, Not sure why but I guess there’s limited appetite to fix the issue vs the effort.

Is this related to and fixed by the upcoming 19.3 Atmos fix?

I think this is the actual fix [Fix] Reworked TrueHD MAT packer to support high bitrate Atmos streams (fix audio dropouts) by thexai · Pull Request #20339 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

Yes and yes.

1 Like

It should be addressed in the next update.

1 Like