Stuttering playback of 1080p MKV x264

“Adjust display refresh rate to match video” is definitely OFF by default, are you sure you’re not confusing it with another setting ?

Do you have your resolution set to 1080p ? Sometimes switching refresh rate on the fly at video start will not work if the TV is in a lower resolution than 1080p.

Yes, definitely tried it. I meant I turned it by default.

Yes, definitely 1080p, watching a movie changes the display mode to 1080p/24 as it should.

@martin_osmc which TV do you have? How does your setup look like?

I’m running a Vero 2 using HDMI cable direct into a Panasonic 50" plasma.

So the issue is now fixed in the latest update, but still occurs with seeking as mentioned in the other thread Martin?

Sam

Hi Sam, yes it’s for the most part fixed unless I seek through the video randomly, then the frame skips occur again.

EDIT: NO, the issue is ongoing, however the skips stop and start throughout the video as in you can watch 5 mins good, then 5 minutes bad then 5 minutes good etc…

Ok, I suspect we need to let the discontinuity calm down after seeking.

I’m on holiday at the moment, but I’ll see if I can work on a couple of improvements and get them tested. Can you PM me a sample clip?

Sam

Issue still ongoing I’m afraid:

General
Unique ID : 209388841627533414439171777350582833771 (0x9D86D2F2643FFD72F809C859DA2E926B)
Complete name : /media/240GB/videos/tv shows/Last Week Tonight with John Oliver/Season 03/Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - S03E18 - Episode 77.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
File size : 730 MiB
Duration : 29mn 44s
Overall bit rate : 3 429 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2016-07-25 04:25:05
Writing application : mkvmerge v7.0.0 (‘Where We Going’) 64bit built on Jun 22 2014 08:19:39
Writing library : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.1

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 2 977 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 716 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 59.880 fps
Original frame rate : 59.940 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.054
Stream size : 633 MiB (87%)
Writing library : x264 core 148 r2705 3f5ed56
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=18 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 81.7 MiB (11%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Yes it is.
ALL 1080p 23.976 hz content. And 720p 23.976 hz

Need a sample clip and MediaInfo, as well as the settings you are using

Please help me help you :slight_smile:

Which settings do you want screenshots of?

System -> Settings -> Video -> Playback
System -> Settings -> Video -> Acceleration
System -> Settings -> System -> Video output

Or more?

I have tried a reset, using standard settings.
I have tried a Emby server, streaming via http
All the same result.

Hi Smasher,

A sample clip and MediaInfo (feel free to PM it) will help.

Re settings, just PM me a full log (via My OSMC -> Logs) and I will be able to see your settings.

Sam

http://paste.osmc.io/boqohucibo

I’ve updated Sam via pm, but just in case anyone else is continuing to experience this issue - can you try running the same video on a raspberry pi version of OSMC?

Reason I ask is that the same videos playback without issue on my raspberry pi (1b and 2b) and want to know if anyone else could replicate this.

Cheers

I have even abandoned Vero2 as my primary media player and replaced it by RPi3.
Some months ago, when I started this thread, I also saw much smoother playback on my RPi3:

But to be honest, I’m still seeing some minor minor stuttering on RPi3 (neglectable!) , but I’m guessing that will be the MKV/scene release. Or maybe my Samsung LED tv (=> googling samsung led stuttering gives me headaches), because some other releases play darn perfect!

Did you try it recently? There was only one update with some serious playback regressions (the May one)

Sam

Yes Sam I did.
I installed it now somewhere else where they pay much less attention to details, but with the attempt to install VNC remotely (by your assistance and guidance) I kinda messed up the system … somehow the whole library is lost now (could also be due to the fact I mounted an HFS+ drive (with journaling deactivated for write access)…) and clicking manually through Files → … they can watch, but they say it quits after 5 minutes of watching.
I stopped debugging it remotely and I’ll do another attempt next time I’m on-site :slight_smile: .

Same problem here. Vero2 stutters a lot with mkv files. Just watched the 720p version of the night of (ettv). Any fix or should i switch to raspberry?

Hi

OSMC’s August update will be released tomorrow (Sunday) and resolves some further playback issues. It would be good if you can try the clip then. If you continue to have problems, PM me, and I’ll take a look at the clip

Best

Sam