Suspend mode uses same amount of power (2,30 watts) when turned on

The Vero won’t use a lot of power, even at full tilt.

Standby is a complex situation, because we use a USB RF solution. This won’t change, even with future revisions of Vero, because IR performance isn’t great, and Bluetooth has its own issues.

Vero can be put in to a low power mode where only the AO power domain is active, and this would put us down in to about 0.1-0.2W an hour. But the only methods of wakeup would be CEC; Bluetooth; IR or WoL (not implemented but possible). Our official remote wouldn’t work, and I believe this would lead to confusion.

So the role of standby on the Vero 4K/4K+ is less to save power and more to stop hogging the TV by stopping HDMI TMDS; and reduce heat by lowering CPU frequency. We do reduce heat by lowering CPU frequency and extend device longevity a bit. But the goal is not to significantly reduce power consumption. It won’t lower power consumption by a lot, but it will lower it a bit. The numbers when active and in standby should certainly not be the same.

Out of curiosity, I had a search for how much it would cost to run a Vero 4K+ all year round from October, with the wattage you specified.

Source: Electricity Cost Calculator - How much do your appliances, heaters cost to run?.

It’s higher than I expected. But hopefully not bank-breaking.

There’s a tradeoff. Some want standby to keep networking alive so they can wake their device with their smartphone. Some want their Internet connection on their device to stay running in the background.

Cheers

Sam