System falldown when using wifi

Hi All

Let me start by apologising if this is covered elsewhere - I have searched here and on the wider web for a solution for some time.

Secondly, I think it is important to point out that I am running this particular system headless to add enhanced functionality to the radio in my kitchen . . .

So. The system is a Raspberry Pi Model B+ and has run various versions of OSMC from the July release to the October release. I have a wifi dongle for network connectivity and it is the “Wi Pi” variety provided with my original Pi a couple of years back.

Essentially the behaviour is this: I can successfully install the system and configure it. I can connect to my wifi network successfully and operate OSMC via Yatse on my phone. I then leave it running, perhaps overnight, whereupon I find that the system is no longer on the network to connect my remote to. I once performed a test on this whereby I left it connected to my TV, and lo and behold in the morning when it had fallen off the network it appeared that the system was still “running” simply without the network connection.

I read on the internet about wifi dongle compatibility, and read with interest that the September release added more support in this area. However even with the October release I am still encountering these issues and I don’t know how to fix them. I have another Pi connected via ethernet and it is bomb proof.

Does anybody share this experience? What can I do to help myself? Any thoughts?

Thank you so much.

Chris

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. Please see How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC for advice on how to help us.

Ok - so you need logs? Can do, however it might take a day to get them to you. Apologies for that.

Thank you for your help

Chris

Very quick question if I may having read the instructions. Because I am experiencing system network fall down I will need to reboot in order to be able to get the logs. Will this be OK?

Thank you

There is an option to save logs on the SD card (in fact it will offer to do this automatically if it can’t reach the internet) so this is preferable as the system journal is erased when you reboot.

Hi There

Right I have experimented a little more. When the system falls over, its not just the network that goes down, the system freezes. Therefore I had to reboot to get the log files.

Logs: http://paste.osmc.io/zocuwonaya

The issue you are currently experiencing with OSMC: When left alone the system will freeze, requiring a hard reboot to get it back up.

What you were doing when this issue occurred: Nothing. This happens when the system is left alone.

The device you are currently running OSMC on: Raspberry Pi Model B+

What peripherals are attached to the device? “WiPi” Wireless dongle. CSR 4.0 Bluetooth dongle

Has this issue been introduced by a new version of OSMC? No. I have experienced this since the first release candidate.

When did the issue first appear and can you recall a time when it was not
present? I did not experience this with RaspBMC, and did not switch to OSMC until the first release candidate

I hope this is helpful. If I have left any detail out do please ask - I don’t know what you guys want to know.

Thank you in advance

Chris