[TESTING] DVB improvements for Vero 4K take 2

Ah yeah, I guess you’re right. I actually meant one of these though: https://www.elextra.dk/details/H20798/f-hun-til-coaxtv-han-hq-metal
https://www.elextra.dk/details/H44520/coax-han-til-coax-hun-90-metal
not that it’d probably make any difference still. :confused:

Strongly support Graham’s suggestion to start the RMA/warranty process for the stick.

While that you should consider to replace this IEC cable with some offering more quality/shielding; keep in mind some frequency bands of some mobile networks could interefere in the DVB-C signal.

Okay, just e-mailed sales@osmc.tv.

Unfortunately replacing the cable is not really an option here. I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building, and it’s a looooong cable that goes across the walls and all the way down to the basement somewhere. It leaves my apartment through a small hole in the wall, no plugs or anything. :confused:

If anyone has any other suggestions or things I could try, let me know!

Mmmhhh,

that doesn’t sound good.

Have you tried to watch at the signal strength in tvheadend? For that you can open two tvheadend web GUIs and in one go to Status->Stream and monitor the right most column signal strength.
In the other web GUI you can manually start the scan at Configuration → DVB Inputs → Networks using the Force Scan button.
What is the signal strength shown for the band 450 MHz?

If it is a tuner/stick defect you should not see any signal strength. If it is just a poor signal by the long cable and high damping, the problem might have its root cause by that and the sensitiveness of the OSMC dongle … and it is hard to predict whether a new OSMC dongle will change anything.

Here the signal strength from my DVB-C prodiver ranges within 60 - 90%.

I have replied.
We are definitely happy to swap the unit over for you. I will also test it myself to see if there is anything wrong with the unit.

Tried it just now. It’s kinda hard to tell, because it’s only scanning for such a short time and it only auto refreshes the site about once a second… But when scanning for muxes, 90 % of time time it says “Unknown”, and sometimes displaying either 2 % or 22 %. Perhaps the signal strength is pretty low, but shouldn’t it at least be able to detect the muxes, given that my old Terratec tuner had no problems at all giving me very reliable streams when I used the RPi3?

Thank you!

Hard to say. Try it with a replacement OSMC stick.
How is that with your Parknet provider in Denmark? In Germany the provider cares about the correct signal strength means a technician measures the singal at the cable connection in the wall and cares about the right calibration of an amplifier in the basement or roof.

Success report for brand new Vero 4K and OSMC DVB T2 stick - here in Czech republic.

Switching and updating packages to devel repository do the work about correct detecting three tuners.

I had to do manually edit of existing muxes, where migration from DVB-T to T2 was done by broadcaster. I changed the same fields, as JinKnopf described here in May 13, and Scan status I set to ACTIVE. After this action all T2 channels was detected perfectly.

I hope, for every country, where DVB T2 migration is in running phase, all current muxes can be scanned for T2 too.

1 Like

Yet another success story here!

Got the replacement dongle yesterday, tested it out just now - and it’s able to find all my DVB-C channels! So the one I had previously (which I’ve returned) must’ve been a bad sample.

Thank you @sam_nazarko, @JimKnopf, @grahamh for all your tips and tricks and for helping me out.

Really appreciate it - and I can now confirm that the DVB-C part of the OSMC dongle works properly (with the latest dist upgrade at least).

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear this. Feel free to put the other dongle back in at your earliest convenience. I’ll take a look at it when I receive it back.

Hello all,
well, I am dumb, but I forgot to remove devel brach. Now, with update form week ago, I get non working HDMI-CEC controls. In CEC devices list on TV is not show KODI, but Recorder and when I tried to connect it, TV says no success.
I am using DVB T OSMC stick, so this was the reason why I used the devel repo,as desribed above. Very please, can you recommend me someway hot to get working bot CEC and TV?

I can do new factory installation on the base of June image, but as far, as I know, the DVB T2 stick will not fully work with the June image, because wrong detection of Panasonic tuner. Or I am wrong?

Yes, it is problem generated by me. So I kindly ask - is there any way?

Thanks a lot!

Just remove the devel repository now, than in the next days when the stable update will be released your CEC will work again.

At the base of your response I am guessing August update is on the way and plan is to release it in August :slight_smile:

If it all will go perfect, it will be on begin of August, if not, slightly later.

Thanks a lot!

Hi, it seems i have the a similar problem with the DVB-C stick. On my first try to setup tvheadend, everything was visible. But now the DVB-C sticks are missing. Compared to the above i see only the DVB-T.

ls ~/.hts/tvheadend/input/linuxdvb/adapters
9d84dad05c885fe8d8a91db0bf0c47ce

i get the following file, which contains:

{
“rootpath”: “/dev/dvb/adapter0”,
“frontends”: {
“DVB-C #1”: {
“pids_max”: 32,
“pids_use_all”: true,
“powersave”: false,
“tune_repeats”: 0,
“skip_bytes”: 0,
“ibuf_size”: 188000,
“status_period”: 1000,
“old_status”: false,
“enabled”: false,
“priority”: 0,
“spriority”: 0,
“displayname”: “Sony CXD2837ER DVB-T/T2/C demodulator #0 : DVB-C #1”,
“ota_epg”: true,
“initscan”: true,
“idlescan”: true,
“free_weight”: 0,
“remove_scrambled”: false,
“networks”: [
],
“linked”: “”,
“type”: “DVB-C”,
“uuid”: “c46bcc411b810919b2f452b24f9e6877”
},
“DVB-T #1”: {
“lna”: false,
“displayname”: “Sony CXD2837ER DVB-T/T2/C demodulator #0 : DVB-T #1”,
],
“type”: “DVB-T”,
“uuid”: “d4c772ba369a2988427137d1f0b8124d”
},
“DVB-T #0”: {
“lna”: false,
“displayname”: “Realtek RTL2832 (DVB-T) #0 : DVB-T #0”,
],
“type”: “DVB-T”,
“uuid”: “6824902f1fe5fd022af51991f3e00eb8”
}
}
}

basically the two sony are not seen anymore in the tvheadend. which is consistent with

/dev$ dmesg | grep -i dvb

[ 3.407443] usb 1-2: Product: dvbt2
[ 3.407447] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: astrometadvbt2
[ 4.721294] usb 1-2: dvb_usb_v2: found a ‘OSMC Engineering DVB-T2’ in warm state
[ 4.800982] usb 1-2: dvb_usb_v2: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer
[ 4.801019] dvbdev: DVB: registering new adapter (OSMC Engineering DVB-T2)
[ 4.802110] dvbdev: dvb_create_media_entity: media entity ‘dvb-demux’ registered.
[ 4.827255] usb 1-2: DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Realtek RTL2832 (DVB-T))…
[ 4.827276] dvbdev: dvb_create_media_entity: media entity ‘Realtek RTL2832 (DVB-T)’ registered.
[ 4.936158] rc rc1: OSMC Engineering DVB-T2 as /devices/c9000000.dwc3/xhci-hcd.0.auto/usb1/1-2/rc/rc1
[ 4.936272] input: OSMC Engineering DVB-T2 as /devices/c9000000.dwc3/xhci-hcd.0.auto/usb1/1-2/rc/rc1/input6
[ 4.942891] rc rc1: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (dvb_usb_rtl28xxu) registered at minor = 1
[ 4.942908] usb 1-2: dvb_usb_v2: schedule remote query interval to 200 msecs
[ 4.953833] usb 1-2: dvb_usb_v2: ‘OSMC Engineering DVB-T2’ successfully initialized and connected
[ 4.953978] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_rtl28xxu
[ 19.591503] usb 1-2: DVB: adapter 0 frontend 0 frequency 0 out of range (174000000…862000000)

any idea if it is possible to reactivate the others or is the Stick broken?

btw lsusb is not working, any idea why?
greetings

What do you mean with not working?

Hi thanks for the fast reply, i use vero 4k+ and when i type within the terminal this command. I get this

lsusb
-bash: lsusb: command not found

and my other problem seems to be fixed… what ever i did (i just plugged in and out the USB connected devices?!)

i installed usbutils… thought it was already persistent…:slight_smile: so fixed all my problems…

thanks anyway

Means you don’t have it installed. Install it with
sudo apt-get install usbutils

yes thanks see my post above…