[TESTING] Kodi v19 builds for Vero 4K / 4K +

In Blue ray ISO container which have 2d and 3d:
In 2d I notice such subtitle problem: they goes to the right,not stays in the center as normal. And it is not possible to read them, because it is seen just first 2 or 3 words of sentence.
Like in print screen below:

On some movies like Avatar or King Kong it is very seldom, subtitles goes to the right , then they go back normal, but on movie Ant-Man and the Wasp it is in all movie. As I remember this subtitle problem on Blue ray ISO which have 2d and 3d was all the time with kodi v19 builds for vero 4K for me. Do not remember how it is or was on stable release.

I am sorry if it is known issue, but I do not remember if somebody complain about this. On Nvidia Shield Kodi 19.1 the same Blue ray ISO file on 2d plays fine(of course Nvidia Shield can not play 3d at all). So I think that everything is ok with Blue ray ISO file.

All media info and logs is here:

Is it known issue or do you need any additional information?

That’s probably one for @tanio99 :slightly_smiling_face:

The 4.9 kernel does use more power at idle. It could be that power was marginal before but this update has pushed things over the edge.

Might be the reason, but with only the remote receiver and a self-powered USB DAC, it sounds unlikely. Since it worked correctly at the last bootup I will just continue to use it as it is and k3eep an eye out for the issue.

Thanks for info Chillbo :wink: @Tanio99 all hopes on you :wink: If you put it on your list would be perfect. Thanks

I think Tanio99 is on holiday at the moment. You might have to wait a week or two!

Just to be clear his - this script (mine) is indeed very much a hack. And of course not distributed via the official repo, therefore.

It’s a patching tool to update various skins for OzWeather support. I’d absolutely love to do the same thing a more official way, but there’s currently no mechanism for this (I’ve asked the Kodi devs and this approach was their suggestion…). Getting a whole bunch of skin developers to support a single country weather add on is a tough ask, obviously. So, for now, a simple patching script it will have to be…

The patching tool works perfectly on a whole bunch of linux, coreelec and windows installations.

Currently I have no idea why it fails specifically on OSMC (which I’m told it only does specifically after an OSMC update, so my lingering suspicion is that the OSMC update process is hanging on to file opens or something, so the script can’t then access those files…but given the patcher fails after a reboot after an update, this doesn’t really make sense so…???)

There’s a workaround, apparently, involving doing a restore first, then a patch, but TBH I have no idea why that works when the patching itself fails (some obscure difference in xbmcvfs.copy vs xbmcvfs.write??).

I completely agree it’s not really an OSMC issue as such…just that it happens to happen on OSMC alone, due (presumably) to something different about the upgrade process (e.g. no such issues on Coreelec which is, ultimately, a pretty similar thing at the end of the day).

One day, if the OSMC hardware ever catches up a bit, to e.g. an Odroid N2 type of machine, then I’d love to buy an OSMC device…and could then maybe dig in further to what is happening.

1 Like

When are we getting a new kernel?

Well that is a “local privilege escalation” considering the fact that the OSMC user can make himself root anyhow I would say the risk here is minimal.

Not saying that the new patches should not be deployed as fast as possible but not so concerned here.

Had already forgotten that again.
Well lets hope that changes as well in the future.

Hi, I just like to ask if it is still worth testing or is the stable update coming within the next 2 weeks for example? I really would like to try out the 3D. Thanks

If you want to try 3D there is no reason not to go for testing. Even if the stable release comes in the next days the testing one would then actually be identical. Just remove the buster-devel entry after installation then you will get the stable version next.

1 Like

So… the timestamp in the MyOSMC screen got updated to July 2021 today. Does that mean there’s a formal release incoming?

1 Like

This was updated some time ago – we’ll see.

1 Like

Hello,

Today I installed Kodi Matrix on Vero 4k

Everything works very well
Before I have had problems with Cec (now it works like it should)
Some addons doesn’t work but this is Matrix problem not this version problem.

At last subtitles in hdr are Grey not bright White.

I have one concern… Temperatures

In idle there is 76 degrees and with load 98. I am afraid that Vero will restart after watching movie for long time.

If so I will know

Best regards and Thank You for amazing job

Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Celsius

The Vero will probably start throttling at 100. You should probably provide logs so that personnel here can scrutinize your config to make sure you are running optimally.

My Vero 4K+ is at CPU temperature of 97ºC while being idle…

My Vero4K is at 62ºC idle now that I replaced the thermal pad with a new 4mm thick version.